Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k TS using 2003 CALs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbino

Programmer
Jan 15, 2002
US
A client of mine has a Windows 2000 terminal server. The licensing manager is running on a Windows 2003 Domain Controller which has per user CAL's installed. For some reason, none of the CALs are being handed out to the 2000 sessions, instead it's issuing only temporary ones.
What are the compatibility issues I should know about when running in this configuration? Does it even work? They also have a Windows XP machine that is not able to connect to the server at all.

Thanks for any help.

It uis my belief that once a Terminal Server is activated, it requires TS CAL's in addition to Server CAL's. At the time of activation you have 90 days to obtain TS CAL's. During that time it will issue a temporary TS CAL which is good for 90 days. I believe Windows 2000 Pro does not need a TS CAL, but Windows XP does. Also, the XP computer should be connecting using the remote desktop connection which comes with XP and can be found in Programs/Accessories/Communications.

There are two grace periods involved here. On 2000, there is a 90 day grace period to install and activate a licensing server. Looks like you have done that.

There is a second 90 day grace period to install licenses (it is now 120 days with 2003 terminal servers). If you only have a 2000 terminal server, you may not need to buy licenses at all.

XP Pro and 2000 Pro clients will get a license from the Windows 2000 built-in pool, which is unlimited. NT and 9x clients will need a separate TS CAL.

If you only have a 2000 TS, and only have XP pro and/or 2000 pro clients, and they are still getting temporary licenses, check out the following KB article:

Note that this article has a registry key that is only for your 2000 terminal server. If you have a 2003 TS, the registry key is slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back