Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k to 98 downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

domz76

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
GB
Hi,

i was wondering if anyone has had any experience in removing windows 2000 and installing win98 in it's place.

FYI, i have a new dell latitude laptop, not sure of the spec yet. A step by step guide or a link to a site to help me would be great!

cheers guys!

Dom

I am not an expert but i've had some experience...
when i tried to "downgrade" my computer with Windows ME to Windows 98 i got an error sayin that there were already a newer version of windows installed!
so what could i do?
i made a copy of all important things and then i formatted my harddrive! after that i installed win 98 and it works great!

I too had a go around with win2000... I have three pcs net worked here... when Win2000 was installed on one it embedded it's self or rather parts of it's self into the other two... I have had a very difficult time getting rid of all the lag files for lack of a better word.... we did fdisk and format the drive that had win2000 on it but files with extentions of ~002 and so on kept showing up in the other pcs... they would be deleted and complete search would be done to find them all... then shut them off power up the other one and do another fdisk and so on... it took us three times before it finally was conquered.... but it was finally wiped out.... I used to think upgrading was a pain now I KNOW down grading is far worse... *smile*.... it will work just be persistent.... good luck... Everyone needs an angel now and then... *smile*...

The only safe way to 'downgrade' is to remove the old OS, reformat the drive and install the new OS.
2 points to remember: first, save your data to a safe place; second, W2000 may have been installed with NTFS file system- use the w2000 cd to remove the old partitions. (Fdisk may have problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back