Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Terminal Services... how to remotely run an .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakobud

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
US
Sorry this question is for Win2k Pro, not Server but I think it applies more to the questions/people in this forum.

I have two Win2k Pro machines. I have terminal services running on one of them. On the other I am able to telnet into it and traverse through the directory structure. What I want to do though is run an program on that computer. I find the folder and run the .exe but it doesn't really run the program on that machine. In the task manager I can see that it begins the process, but the actual program doesn't really startup on the screen. Surely there is a way to actually make the program start as if I was on the machine and clicked the icon, right?

Jakobud

How did you get TS to run on a W2K Pro machine?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Telnet Server Administration

This opens a dos window and gives you the different options to do with the service. I type '4' to start the service and thats it.

On the other machine i open a dos prompt and type telnet. This gets me into 'telnet mode' or whatever. Then I type &quot;open <computer name>&quot; (where <computer name is the name of the computer that is running the service). Put in my login / password and stuff and that's it. Now I'm navigating the directory structure of the machine that I'm running Terminal services on.

Can anyone answer my original question??

I just realized that maybe &quot;Telnet Server&quot; is different than &quot;Terminal Services&quot;... I dunno. Anyways, can anyone answer my question or tell me how to remotely exectute and .exe on another machine?

Ok, you said you had Terminal Services running on a W2K Pro machine, completely different beast than a Telnet Server.

Try running VNC ( that will let you truly remotely control another computer.

You cannot run TS as a server on a W2K Pro machine. Only as a client.

Yeah I'm not interested in VNC stuff. I know all about that. I want to be able to execute a remote exe from the commandline for scripting purposes. Thanks, but that doesnt help me :(

Okay well if I can't run Terminal Services on a Win2k Pro machine what is this Telnet Server I am running? Is it just a different thing?

Is it possible at all to remotely execute an exe from the commandline (no VNC stuff please)?

When you ran the .exe, it did start the application, it just didn't start it interactively, which is why you didn't see it start up on the screen. Try scheduling it with an AT command, and specify /interactive to see it start on the desktop.

Hmmm... i'm not familiar with the AT command. It schedules when to run programs? Is this really the only way to do this? The /interactive flag on that AT command is what I am looking for regarding making the executable run intereactively on the desktop with the currently logged in user, however having the 'schedule' a time for the command to run doesn't really help me. I'd like it to just run when I type the command... Any other ideas?

Just schedule it for a minute in advance of the current time. You should be able to easily script that.

What specifically are you trying to do? What program are you trying to have pop up unexpectedly on a remote users computer?

try using psexec from sysinternals.

It lets you run applications on remote machines under any user context you want.

Can download all of the execellent PSTools from

in UNIX land you could telnet in to another box and run applications remotely, but you had to set the environmental display settings to 0:0 to have the app display properly. Telnet is a TCP/IP app, if M$ hasn't screwed too badly with its TCP/IP implementation, changing the dislplay setting might work. just a guess....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back