Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Terminal Service 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pherr

MIS
Feb 22, 2002
US
I have 4 servers all running Win2k and Terminal Service in Admin Mode. 2 will connect just fine (they were clean installs) 2 will not connect with the message Terminal Server has ended the connection. The 2 that will not connect were upgraded from Win NT 4.0 Server. One has SP4 and one has SP3. I have check and tried all the KB articles I could find on TS but nothing is resolving the problem. Again it is only on the TS that were upgraded. Anyone have a thought?

Hi-
I just saw your post on the Terminal Service issue, I have the same problem - we have 10 regional DC that were upgraded from 4.0 to 2000 sp3 and 9 of the 10 I cant connect via TS, same error you have. Have you figured anything out on it???

Can you Terminal Server FROM the non-working machines to the working machines?
Can you connect to any share on the machine using all of the following: ip address, netbios name, fqdn?
Have you re-applied the service packs?
Are the Foreign Security Prinicpals present for the DC's?
There's a termainl server test- tstst, what is the output of that?
Do we see 1704's in the Application log?
You can temporarily make it an App Server without having a Terminal Server License server available- did you try that yet?

/Siddharth

YES to ALL... I have tried everything you have mentioned (except the tstst....have not heard of that) But I have tried everyhting else you have mentioned plus everything already mentioned in the thread above.

And there are no errors in any event log on either client or server?

If you have MSCONFIG.exe (XP workstations have it), bring it onto the a Termainl Server and use it to stop both the Starup Group and ALL non-Microsoft Services.

/Siddharth

ok i have it on one of the DC running TS, i am stopping all non-ms services, by startup group you mean all the items listed on the startup tab i assume?? what next?

You are running TS on a DC?! Bad idea.

Have you enabled 'Authenticated Users' the right to logon locally? By default, only admins can log on to a ts that's also a DC.

After you set everything in msconfig, restart the machine.

Is the machine that IS working NOT a DC by chance?

/Siddharth

Yes it is a DC all 9 are DC's. I have not stopped any services actually little weiry of this as well with it being a DC.

Well did you change the policy yet? By default, no one aside from a domain admin will be able to logon to a TS that is also a DC.

/Siddharth

Using this for Remote Admin mode only, so domain admin is what I have been using actually.

Hrm, I'd still change the policy, especially since nothing else is working.

The fact that it works on a NON-DC tells me something is configured incorrectly, not that the box needs to be rebuilt.

/Siddharth

Stupid question... is it pointing to the windows 2k DC that has is acting as the central license repositorythe licences on? or is the ts a dc and has the licenses on it individually?

TS will use DNS to find a terminal server license server. You can always specify a specific server, but right now, he claims that there is no error message either (right?).

/Siddharth

Rebuild em. Sounds like the time and effort you have spent troubleshooting this one at this point could now have easily rebuilt Win2K Adv. server and reinstalled metaframe. That's usually my policy after 6-8 straight hours of troubleshooting, rebuild it. As a DC's they should not have much in the way of data stored on it (RIGHT?) This time, don't make them DC's if you can avoid it.

Look at the bright side... You will have nice clean (and working) boxes again. I personally don't like the upgrade path. Clean build is the way to go IMHO. Remember the Win95 to 98 debacle? Yuck. (For that mtter remember DOS 5- DOS 6!!?! OUCH!)

If you can rebuild one of em, make a ghost image if the hardware is identical. You can have them all rebuilt in just a few hours if you use multicasting.

As for letting the servers use DNS to resolve a license server, I personally prefer to know that they are getting them from one single place...Just my prefference so I can watch the licenses on the server. Her's a possibility...Perhaps the license server these servers are finding is out of licenses? This can happen if it's not purged regularly. Every 4 months or so, my 3000 users eat up 10,000+ TS licence servers licences, if not periodically cleaned up.

Dave

If we had a license issue, we would see a license error. If you are SP3 and then installed TSL, you will reclaim licenses after a client does not connect for 60 days.

Rebuilding it may help, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see the exact same thing occur.

Do you use any special templates on your DC's?
Before a rebuild, a reboot with the above services disabled may be worthwhile.

What error message do clients get on a connect attempt?
What does a trace show?

/Siddharth

And the other questions, or have you already rebuilt:

Do you use any special templates on your DC's?
Before a rebuild, a reboot with the above services disabled may be worthwhile.

What error message do clients get on a connect attempt?
What does a trace show?

?

/Siddharth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back