Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Terminal Service Client Local Printer Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TranquilUncle

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
I'm running Win2K Pro and Terminal Service Client. My issue is I can't print to my local printer. I should be able to do this but, for some reason I can't. When I TS into the server across town I can access and accomplish my task, but when I want to print, my only option is the printer that's connected to the server. It will not let me choose my printer and TSC will not map the local printer. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

is your printer shared? have you tried to add a standard TCP/IP port to your TS session that points to your IP/shared printer? (and do you have permission to do that?)

When you connect a Terminal Server client (RDP4.0 or RDP5.0) to Windows NT Terminal Server Edition 4.0, make sure the following items are complete to print to the Terminal Server Client's local printer:

The Terminal Server must have the client's printer driver installed at the server. Install the Windows NT printer driver on the Terminal Server regardless of what operating system is running on the client computer.

The Terminal Server must have NetBIOS name resolution to the Terminal Server Client computer. Microsoft recommends you use WINS for NetBIOS name resolution. If you cannot use WINS, then you need to use a static IP address if you are on a LAN or request a predetermined IP address if you are using a RAS or VPN client. The server's LMHOSTS file needs to resolve the client computer's NetBIOS name to the client computer's static or predetermined IP address.

If you use a RAS or VPN connection, you must log in to the domain in order to have NetBIOS functionality.
You need to share the local printer on the client computer.

NOTE: Windows 2000 Terminal Services provides local printer redirection by default using Virtual Channels.

This info came rom TechNet 243295. I know I just posted it under another thread, but they're two different users, so here you are. Hope it helps.

Corie

You keep refering to "NT" Terminal Service. I'm referring to Windows 2000 Terminal Service with Win2k clients. The message win2k provides local printer redirection by default....man I haven't seen that yet.
How do I install the print driver on the Win2k Server?

Windows 2000 is technically NT architecture, but the gist of the article is that after the printer is installed locally, the print drivers for the Server OS need to be installed on the printserver, then share the printer.
Assuming you have WINS enabled, you're ready to print once you log in. If not, assign a static IP, or request a predetermined IP address if you are using a RAS or VPN client (you must be logged into the domain for this).

Corie

just open the printer folder on your server and use the 'add printer' wizard, then follow the steps to add a local printer. that will prompt you to insert the manufacturers disk and load the drivers.
don't print a test page as you have no print device attached, it's just a shell for the server to use when terminal services sees the shared printer on the end users PC.

Hope this helps,

Corie

You don't even have to do that. Just go the the TS, go to the Printers folder, click File and select Server Properties (make sure you haven't selected any printers that are attached). Just go to the drivers tab and add the driver there.

I've read where it's not recommended to add the driver to the server, but no concrete reason on why not to. On some printers, when you connect to the TS, it automatically detects and installs the driver at the server, but I think only if it's included in the version of the OS you've installed. We have an HP 1200 that, when the user connects to the session, it will not detect it or print to it. The solution was to provide an 1100 driver on the client, and then it started working.

It really doesn't matter how you install the drivers, but the ONLY way to print to a local printer when connecting through an interface like Terminal Services or Citrix Metaframe is to install the drivers for the local printer on the server. If you installed HP 1200 drivers on your TS server, that printer would be recognized, instead of having to use a non-specified driver and possibly lose some functionality.

Corie

Well, I hate to disagree, but that just isn't true.

For example, I have an HP 1100 printer on my client computer. I have a fresh installation of Terminal Server up and running on the host that I connect to. There are no drivers pre-installed on the Terminal Server. When I connect to the TS, it automatically detects and loads the HP 1100 driver at the Terminal Server. I did not install the driver at the server, it detected and installed the driver automatically.

This is true for most printers. However, there is a problem with the HP 1200 that I haven't yet figured out completely. Best I can discover, if you run the HP software, it *may* mess up the LPT configuration somehow, creating a problem. However, I have not yet confirmed this to be true. I believe it is a problem with the 1200 driver, or a combination of events that is causing the problem.

What part do you disagree with? Since HP 1000 series drivers are included with W2K, you did not have to manually install them.
However, Terminal services will NOT recognize a local printer unless the drivers for the local printer are already on the server. There is no workaround for this.

Sounds like you may have a problem in the client printer network part of your registry. Make sure your lanman entries haven't been renamed to HPlanman or something like that, make sure your client network entries exist, and that the reg points to the proper driver.

Corie

It appears to be a disagreement in symantics. When someone says "install", that implies, to me, having to do something intentionally. In the case of drivers, the drivers are available on a W2K server install, but they're not installed by default. That's all. The server will install them automatically, which was my intent, vs. having to physically go to the server and install them intentionally, or do a fake installation of a printer on the server.

I'd rather not have a bunch of unused printers installed in my Printers folder on my server, much rather just have the drivers installed.

Thanks tahoe2 and lander215 for the advice. I'm going with tahoe2's advice about the TS. My local printer is a Lexmark Optra E310 Laser Printer. I just want TS to print to my local printer like the "papers" say it should. Thing is, this TS is across town. I have to install the print driver there, then drive back to my place and try the TSC to see if it works. I didn't set up TS over there and this is my first time dealing with their W2k server. They don't have a dedicated "IT/Network Admin". They call in a person to do their tech support and when I discussed this issue with him he offered me no solution. He kept saying TSC maps the local printer automatically. Giving me the impression it's something wrong on my end. Anyway, thanks again. I plan to accomplish this task today. I'll update you on my findings.

cool. I would love to know how it goes. Good luck, and drive safe.

Corie

I just completed my task. Guess what, it works! I can't believe it, it actually works!

Now I have a minor issue with TSC. I have two workstations that need to print "locally" from TSC. One (#1)workstation prints fine. The other (#2)workstation prints to the first (#1)workstation's printer instead of it's local printer. I can print and I'm happy about that, but I want this running nice and clean. What happen me and how can I fix it?

ALLRIGHT!
now for the other issue, can pc#2 print locally without being in TS? If so, its another driver/server issue.
If not, you have to get the printer working locally, then add those same drivers to your server. That *should* do it.

"I love it when a plan comes together."

Corie

First, pc#2 can print locally.
Second, I'm using the same printer/print driver for both pc's.
So, I'm asking TS to use the same print driver for both PC's because both of them have the same printer.
Any suggestions?

check the network properties and make sure the setup is the same on both PC's. just open both properties pages and compare. everything should be the same except the name and IP address.

Corie

Hi all. Sorry to jump into the fray late but I've been fighting with a similar problem all afternoon. My situation is similar to lander215's. I have a WinXP TSC with an HP 1200 and an HP 895. Upon connecting to the Win2K TS, the 895 is recognized but not the 1200. I installed the 1200 drivers manually and via HP's setup but still no 1200.

According to KB article 275495, this is a known issue if you used OEM supplied drivers rather than MS default. To fix, the Win2K TS needs SP2 or higher, 2 registry hacks are needed, and the printupg.inf file needs edited.

In my case (as well as lander215), you have to use the OEM drivers for a 1200 - there are no default drivers. That's why the 1100 driver worked - it's a default driver in 2K. So I've done all the steps required in the article except for editing the file. I don't really understand the syntax of the file.

Sample of printupg.inf:
;
; This section gives the model name mapping.
;
; 1) The syntax is
;
; &quot;<Broken OEM model name>&quot; = &quot;<In-box model name to replace with>&quot;
;
; 2) Optionally a date could be specified.
; In that case only the OEM models with core driver file
; (i.e. DRIVER_INFO_3.pDriverPath) older than this date are replaced.
;
; Syntax for this is:
; &quot;<Broken OEM model name>&quot; = &quot;<In-box model name>&quot;, &quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;
;
; Make sure year is given in a 4 digit format (i.e. not 98 but 1998)
; Make sure date field is separated with a comma.
;
; 3) In case there is no In-box support for the broken OEM Printer, the
; printer driver will be deleted. The syntax is
;
; &quot;<Broken OEM model name>&quot; =
; (i.e. Just the OEM name followed by equal to sign. NOTE: The equalto
; sign is important).
;
; 4) If the driver has to be deleted but only on the basis of the date
; (as explained above) the syntax is
;
; &quot;<Broken OEM model name>&quot; = &quot;&quot; , &quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;
; (NOTE: The = sign has to be followed by an empty double quote (&quot;&quot;)
; and the comma, before the date is written.

&quot;HP LaserJet 1200&quot; = &quot;HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL 6&quot;
&quot;HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL 5e&quot; = &quot;HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL&quot; , &quot;11/27/1999&quot;
&quot;HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL 6&quot; = &quot;HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL&quot; , &quot;11/27/1999&quot;

The 1200 line was the one I added. The others I used as an example.

Does anyone know how I should have edited the file? I agree with tahoe2 that using a different driver is not the best solution - good temporary work around but not a permanent fix.

Finally, TranquilUncle - your last problem is probably caused by the fact that both pc's use the same name for their printers. For some reason this will confuse the TS. Try renaming one of the printers to a slightly different name. That should fix your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back