Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Telling me my IDE drives are SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

garthi

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
US
I just installed windows 2k professional and, although my hard drives run OK, it concerns me that they keep showing up as SCSI even though I've installed my IDE controller drivers. I tried to burn a CD and instantly was given an error message and a handy coaster. It's not the burner, because I went into my Win98 and burned an entire CD.
I have a VIA chipset (A Megabyte 7ZX socket A with Duron 900 MHz, 780-something megs of RAM etc etc etc) and my system runs much faster and better with Windows2k but I'd like to resolve the IDE issue. Does anybody know what's up?

Have you installed Service Pack 2 and the updated VIA chipset drivers?

Some ATA controllers show up as SCSI devices. If it's on-board, update any drivers for your mainboard like jaeddy said, or if it's a seperate card update the drivers for that. Marc Creviere

Unfortunately I downloaded the drivers from VIA and now windows won't even start in Safe mode :( I'm reverting back to Win98 until I have time to reinstall Win2k. I read somewhere that you can hit F6 or something during the installation to keep it from simply assigning it as SCSI, is that true? Thank you in advance, guys :)

You can hit F6 at the beginning of setup to supply the vendor's drivers. It may still show up as being a SCSI device, even with the correct drivers. Marc Creviere

In case anyone else encounters this VIA problem, I reinstalled Win2k Prof., THEN loaded in the newest IDE driver from the VIA website... and things have worked out perfectly. Win2k now recognizes that not everyone can afford SCSI and my drives are working fine. I guess that I had jumped the gun previously when I installed the Service Pack before putting in the new VIA driver. Thanks everyone :) I appreciate your help.

Hi
My first\if you read the readme with the miniport ata udma driver for 2000 you will see it clearly states that there will be a false statement that the drives are scsi, ignore it!
my sys runs much better with this driver
bfn Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back