Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN2K System State restore problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhwright

MIS
Jan 29, 2004
US
Hello All,

We had some hardware problems with one of our WIN2K server in which we had to replace the motherboard and the disk drives.

We install win2k and netbackup client on the server; start the restore process, which consists of drive C:, D:, and system state. Once the restore completed, we rebooted the server and we're stuck in the reboot loop.

We have been working on this restore for the last three days using the trouble shooting guild, tech notes, tek-tips, etc. and still no success.

Please help!

Thanks,

Anh Wright.

master/media servers: Solaris 8, netbackup 5.0

How did you install Windows 2000? i.e. To where? It HAS to be in the same directory as the original.

we installed win2000 to the orginal directory /WINNT.
thank you,
anh.

Did you change out the hardware for the exact same?

If there is a different RAID controller, Network Interface, SCSI controller, video card, etc...on this system, it will blue screen on you if it is different. Prior to the reboot, you should remove the old drivers that were restored and update them with the new.

you do not need to remove the old drives.... If you want my process for a system state restore using veritas regardless of hardware I can post it.

timmy90210,

i would really appreciate if you coult post your process for a system state restore using veritas.

thank you,
anh.

Restore to different hardware
1. Confirm that the destination server has matching processor HALs to production (i.e. if production is single processor HAL, new server needs to be single processor HAL, and multiprocessor needs to be restored to a multiprocessor). The can be confirmed by going to Device Manage-> Computer.
-If there is a mismatch in HAL, perform the following:
-Go to Device Manager. Expand the Computer container and double-click the computer's HAL name (e.g., ACPI Multiprocessor PC) to open a Properties dialog box.
-Go to the Driver tab and click Update Driver to launch the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard.
-Click Next, then select the option to display a list of known drivers. Select ACPI Single Processor.
-Reboot when prompted
2. Confirm that new server is at the same Service Pack level as the production system.
3. Give the new server a temporary name (eg, win2ktemp)
4. Add the server to a workgroup. Reboot when prompted
5. Change the duplex of the NIC to 100/Full duplex
6. Create the drive structure to be the same as the production system that is being restored (c: d: cd-rom, etc) by going to Disk Management by right clicking on My Computer and going to Manage.
7. Go to Start-Run, and type in regedit
8. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-System-CurrentControlSet-Services-TCPIP
9. Change the value of the “START” entry to “2” and close the registry editor
10. Right click on My Computer, and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. Click on the Startup and Recovery button and uncheck the Automatically Reboot option. Do not reboot if prompted.
11. If PcAnywhere was installed on the production machine, install it by taking the defaults on the new server. Skipping this step may cause issues with video drivers after the restore.
12. In device manager, uninstall Network Adapters that will not be used during the restore and any Display Adapters that are listed. Choose “NO” if prompted to restart after uninstalling devices
13. Stop all non-critical services. If IIS is installed on the destination server, make sure IIS Admin service is stopped.
14. Install Veritas client from media. See additional documentation.
15. From Veritas Master Server, within the Veritas Backup Archive and Restore interface, confirm that the client server and the destination server are correct.
16. Select the entire system to be restored from the desired date of restore
17. Navigate to c:\ and deselect boot.ini
18. Navigate to System State\Boot Files and deselect ntdetect.com and ntldr
19. Kick off the restore
20. Choose to restore to original location and to overwrite existing files
21. After restore is finished, from device manger, uninstall any remaing NICS
22. Reboot the server
23. If you are unable to log into the domain, log in locally as administrator.
24. Check device manager to confirm that devices have been installed properly. Network adapters may need to be uninstalled after reboot. If there are conflicts or errors with the NICs after rebooting, right click and choose to uninstall. Then click the button to scan for hardware changes and NICs should be found and installed correctly.
25. Assign the correct production IP information either via DHCP reservation or statically on the server itself.
26. If the you were unable to log into the domain, add the server to the domain at this time.
27. Uninstall any Compaq or Dell specific management applications that may be installed (i.e Comaq Survey, Compaq NIC agent, Dell Openmanage, etc)

timmy90210,

In step 2, must the new server be at the same service pack level as the production server ?

anh.

Timmy,

The reboot loop you see is often seen when restoring OS & system state to different hardware. More than likely there is a difference in drivers/firmware somewhere. If the processors were different between mobo's, then the restore likely will never work no matter what backup software you use. What is the message on the screen prior to the reboot, if any?

Check these articles out by Microsoft. Also, I would suggest just rebuilding the OS and reinstalling applications and just restore your data from backup.

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware

How to perform a disaster recovery restoration of Active Directory on a computer with a different hardware configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back