Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K SP-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster43

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
US
Could the same bug in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 that causes errors in reading remote services on some firewalls have anything to do with aborting backups?

Thanks,

Hi joeunixadmin,

The client is running Solaris 8 on the Legato server. The server is able to back up Windows NT 4.1, Windows 2000 SP-2, but seems to be choking on the Windows 2000 SP-3. The remote login to the W2K box is 'administrator@<IP Address>' and it ticks along that it is backing up data, however when it comes to saving the data to the Legato it aborts. I'm not sure but it seems to be a save permission problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Hi,

What is the output of:

# savegrp -vvv -p &quot;name-of-savegroup&quot;?

-Joe

I'm not at the client site, I'm trying to gather information prior to going back out there and look stupid in front of the client.

What should the output be - the name of the group saved with some sort suffix attached?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Okay, I just found out that the server is a Windows 2000 Advance Server. Does anyone know of existing bugs associated with this OS and Legato NW 6.1.3?

Thanks,

Hi,

the -p option runs the probe step on each client, so you can see
which filesystem would be saved and at what level, but
do not actually save any data. The output generated by the -p option may show
several save levels for each save set at different points in the output, as savegrp learns the correct
level. This is the expected behavior, and can be use-
ful for debugging. The actual level the savegrp uses
is shown the last time each save set is displayed in
the output. The media pool the save set would be
directed to is also listed in the preview output.

If you are having a problem getting data from the client, it should be obvious in the output.

-Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the information. We'll give that a try as soon as we back out to the client site. Do you have any thoughts as to the permissions idea or with any issues involving Windows 2000 Advance Server?

Thanks,

Chuck

Just let me clarify this because i am getting confused:

NW seems to be installed at your client but savegrp runs
at the NW server.

We have done a little more troubleshooting and discovered that the client (Windows 2000 Advance server) did not have the RPC protocols running on the client. Legato would not be able to pass the info back to the server.

We started the Remote Procedure Call service, Legato is still failing when attempting to conduct a backup initiated from the client. We checked the rpcinfo on the other clients and now the same protocols are running, but Legato still fails. Do we need to do something else with the rpc service besides starting it, or do we need to attempt a manaul backup initiated by the Legato server.

Thanks,

Chuck

Could you please be a bit more precise? - What is the exact
result when running &quot;save -s server pathname&quot; at the client?

You will see even more if you run
&quot;save -s server -v pathname&quot;

We've been working with the Legato tech support people and they have had us run 'savegrp -D 9 -vvv -c <client> -l full <groupname> > <filename.txt> 2>&1'.

This produced a file that contained the verbose readout of the 'savegrp' command and we noticed that there was an item as '* skip = crmlog'.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be. The files of the client are actually backing up to the NW Server, however, you can't review them from the client and NW says they are not browsable.

Thanks,

Take a look at the directives used by that client.

Just in case - sometimes windows get confused with the fully qualified name (from DNS) and the computer name defined on the network configuration, make sure they are the same, or try using the aliases box.

JS

Don't know what a crmlog file is, but ...

&quot;savegrp -vvv&quot; adds more verbosity (NW supports up to 5 'v's)
which returns much more info. &quot;-D#&quot; sets a higher debug level.

However, the results only helps somebody how can understand
this log. And i think for this high-level command, &quot;-D9&quot; will
dig to deep. I personally never use debug levels but there
are a lot of customers who rely on them.

So the backup runs successfully but you cannot browse the
files from the client. There could be a number of reasons:

1. You do not have the proper remote access rights.
However, you should receive a clear message in this
case.

2. The client file index are not properly updated.
This is most unlikely since NW 6 as each backup will
create a new set of 3 files in the \nsr\index\client\db6
directory (file_name.rec, *.k0, *.k1)

3. The save set will be set to &quot;recoverable&quot; or &quot;recyclable&quot;.
I do not know the reason for that but you can check
this easily (use mminfo for an easy search).

4. The file information will be written to the wrong
client file index. This can be due to an improper name
resolution. You can check this by running nsrls on all
clients before and after the backup.

We discovered that the client had readdressed the machine to a different IP address and the original index for the machine was now corrupted and could not be accessed. Once we deleted the old index and kicked off a backup from the client things worked fine and we could operate as advertised. From the client only. When we attempted a backup from the NW server we got an error of not having the proper permissions to access the client. Now we have to figure this one out and we will be done.

Thanks,

Chuckster43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back