Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k server wont install SMS Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

annw

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2001
GB
Hi I have the follwoing setup :

PDC - Windows NT4 SP6a
BDC - Windows NT4 SP6a
SMS Site Server - Windows NT4 SP6a
Member Server - Win2k ADV server SP2
100 MB LAN with all above servers in the same subnet.

All clients on my domain are windows nt4 and install SMS no problem. However, when I try to install sms onto the win2k member server, it wont install. There is an error in the CCIM32.log on the Win2k server, which says that a CAP cannot be found to finish the install. At this point if I check the SMSClient_xxx account on the PDC it is locked out - only this server causes the account lockout.

I can navigate to the SMS server shares and browse them from the Win2k server with no problems.

I have also tried the following scenarios -

Install win2k adv server with sp3 - same error
Install win2k adv server with no sp - same error
Install win2k professional - same error

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening ? I think it may be something to do with the authentication between the member server and the dc's. The reason I say this is because of the account lockout. If the SMSClient account is locked out then I assume the install will not continue. So why does the win2k server lock it out whilst every other nt4 client installs with no problems ?

Is there some default account config on Win2k which I have missed ? How about anonymous access ?

I appreciate anyones help on this.

Regards

Annie

Hi brother,
actually i want to say i have widows 2000 server as DC , and windows 2000 pro ... the agent installed in every machine so i want to say are u installing the agent manually or logon scribt ...

The agent will not install if u dint have admin perm, so sms will try to install it by using SMS service ccount after the ccim sent ccr to the CAP...

so i want u to logon with admin account to the member server , then try to connect to the logon point and run SMSman.exe it will success .
if it doesn't we will see another solution

also the account smsclient _*** the sms _client will not use for install the sms client agent.....

with my best wishes

I am logging in as domain admin. I can easily nvigate to the SMS site share via network neighbourhood and also map a network drive. I have tried using smsls.bat and also using the smsman - both instances cause the same error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back