Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k server setup and domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbromberg

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
US
I'm having trouble logging onto a domain. When setting up win2k server it asks if I want the server to be part of a domain. I do- there are several other servers and many computers set up to the domain rjp1, so I type in rjp1. It then asks for a username and password that has the authority to add the server to the domain. I put the username and password in- they definitely have the authority to join the server to the domain, I know this because I just added a computer to the domain using that username and password. However, I get the error that "an invalid domain was specified" and it asks me if I'd like to join the server to the domain later. I know the domain isn't invalid, my computer logs into it, many computers log into it. And I don't want to 'wait until later'. I tried setting up this machine before under windows 2k server, and I waited until later and tried to have it join the domain and it didn't work then either. So what's the problem? The connection is good- when the server was set up before it got internet and everything. And when it was a nt 4.0 server it connected to the domain fine. What gives?

-dbromberg

Who does the server think the master server is? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
"Every step of life shows much caution is required".
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832); German poet and playwright.

Um, I'm not sure how to figure that out. This is the first win2k server in the bunch, the rest are all nt servers.

-dbromberg

It's been fixed. Basically I had static ip's in it instead of letting the dhcp server do its job. I was acting as a server outside of the firewall, but I didn't have the firewall configured to accept the server as a part of the domain. Problem solved.

-dbromberg

Try this in your lmhosts file. Freind found this setting buried in Microsoft site.

127.0.0.1 localhost
ipaddress nameofserverW2K #name
ipaddress nameofservernt #PRE #DOM:domainname
ipaddress "domainname \0x1b" #PRE
ipaddress nameofserverW2K Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
"Every step of life shows much caution is required".
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832); German poet and playwright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back