Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K server Replica DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

charanb

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
I'm trying to create an 2dc in a existing domain.
my forest & 1dc its located in romote site.
my Q? is
do i need to install DNS or WINS in this 2nd dc?

some reason i'm unable to create this box as a dc.
when i select additional dom cont. for an existing dom.
i can browse my existing domain when i thru dcpromo but it comes with error
The domain "domain name" cannot be contacted.select a different domain. if this dom. was recently created its name my not be registered with domian naming services

thanks

Make sure that the TCP/IP configuration of the server is pointing to the correct DNS server. Without DNS, it will not be able to connect to join the Domain.
Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Gladys:
thanks 4 quick respose. yes i'm giving correct ip for my remote dns & as i said i can ping my remote server by name, by domain name & ip.

You would be able to ping a server if you are in the same network because it may broadcast.

Check that the name of the server is not already in Active Directory. Sometimes, I have run into a problem that a machine tries to join a domain and it creates the account and then, for some reason or another, it gives and error and then it does not let you join because the account already exist.

Also, under system properties\Network Identification\Properties\More make sure that change the primary domain suffix when membership changes in check.

Under TCP\IP\DNS\, check Register this connection .. and User this connection ..
Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

Gladys:
is it possible my remote server dc not configured properly with DNS. becasue when i do my nslookup x.x.x.x(my server ip)it come up with error
C:\>*** Can't find server name for address x.x.x.x(DNS IP) non-existent domain

let me know your input & thanks all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back