Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Server Licensing and Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

axslinger

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2000
US
Recently I ran into a problem with multiple connections to a single server. Using the Computer Management tool in Win2K, then viewing shares and then Connections, one particular workstation showed up twice. However one of the entries had the users name and the other was blank under user name. Also, there was another user (on a win2K W/S) that showed up 3 or 4 times. Same computer name, same user name. We downed the server, restarted the workstations and things looked better, but there was still a double-entry for the "ghost" user. The one with the workstation name, but no user name. I checked licensing and there are enough licenses for the number of workstations on the network. The machine is only a fileserver. Nobody connects to it using any other services (such as http, ftp, telnet, printer etc.)
This is the second Win2K server I have run into this on recently. I ultimately turned of the License Manager Service, but I don't think that is a clean fix. However, I know they are legal, and this problem is keeping people from connecting to the server.
Any help would be appreciated.
Brian

Brian,

I seem to be having the exact same problem,

The server (with sp2) is licensed with 10 licenses in per server mode, and there are only 9 workstations and 1 server and the network

Problem also seems to go away for while if i do a nbtstat -R

Please tell me you have found a solution

thanks

Have a look at the following q article from Microsoft.
It might useful.
Q300930

I am running Win2K (sp2) server as a file and print server (no AD) and seem to have the same issue. I have isolated at least one cause of the duplicate computer entry but am unable to stop it from happening.

I have a shared folder on the server and a shortcut pointing to it on the desktop of a Win98 client. If I access the shared folder by clicking on the shortcut, everything works fine. If I then access the server through Network Neighborhood, the duplicate computer shows up.

This only occurs with Win98 clients and not with the Mac or XP clients I have on the same network.

Please reply if this problem occurs the same way on your network.

I checked the Microsoft document you referenced but it seems to apply to "per seat" licensing and I am running "per server".

pete

Well guys

I went ahead and installed the patch even though my server was also in "per server" and it seems to have done the trick,
I installed on the 14th and so far no more problems.
Touch Wood.

The patch is probably the one he referenced in the microsoft bulletin Q300930. However that only refers to W2k with sp1. I am having the same problem with W2k server w/sp2 installed and server is licensed in per server mode. I have not found an answer yet.

I am hoping this will fix our situation. We have several clients who are showing a license for the user and a license for the workstation thus creating a licensing nightmare in regards to running out of licenses. Will this fix correct the situation? Based on what I have read here and the microsoft article it appears it will... thanks

Hi again,

The patch i installed was the one from the q article, And i have not had any more problems since then,
Thank goodness :)

cheers

Where did you find the patch? Did you need to contact MS support or is there a download location? I was hoping SP3 would be out in the Spring, but it doesn't look like there will be any new releases until the trial is over.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back