Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Server domain dumb question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitter

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I am not real bright when it comes to networks and stuff. I think this is a simple question.

How can I tell if a Windows 2000 server is a domain controller or not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Go to the start button, click on programs, click on the administrative tools, and look to see if you have any tools about active directory, like active directory sites and services. If you do then it is a DC if not it is a member server.

Thanks for the info mcsebob. I will check it out and see what I find.

That would work unless someone installed Admin pak on a member server or a W2K Pro, which then gives you all those tools.

a better way would be go into My Network Places or Niegborhood then go to the machine in question then view the properties which it will tell you something like this

Type: Windows 2000 Primary which is a DC

or

Type Windows 2000 Server which is member server

or you could open, Active Directory Users and Computers MMC then open the Domain then open the folder called Domain Controlers to view all DC in that Domain.

The admin pack should never be installed on a non domain controller according to Microsoft. Have you ever sucessfully installed the tools on a non domain controller and had them work? It could be very usefull if it were possible.

Yes i'm running it on two computers right know and it works just fine. One is XP pro and the other is Member Server i test stuff on.

Before someones points it out the only settings that can not be edit Remotely by just adding the Admin pack is Domain Security Policy or Domain Controler Security Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back