Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k server dns issues, please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkmestupid

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
US
hello,

i first posted this in alt.os.linux.smoothwall ng thinking i had an issue with my hardware firewall/router box. i have since determined the issue to be with my windows 2000 server. i will paste my original post to that group along with my own follow up below for you to examine. please offer any and all thoughts, opinions, and suggestions.

TIA!

PASTE FROM ALT.OS.LINUX.SMOOTHWALL:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 02:25:20 GMT, paacoeguntrez
<paacoeguntrez@yahoo.com> wrote:

>system setup:
>
>smoothwall gpl 1.0 with all updates
>P200 64Mb RAM 600Mb HD
>GREEN nic info:
>ip address: 10.0.0.254
>subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
>RED nic info:
>dhcp from ISP using PPPoE
>
>win2k server sp3 configured with AD, DHCP, DNS
>PII400 256Mb RAM 80Gb HD
>ip address: 10.10.1.1
>preferred dns: 127.0.0.1
>DHCP configuration has router/gateway set to 10.0.0.254 (for clients)
>
>win2k pro sp3
>AMD1000 768Mb RAM 20Gb HD
>ip address: DCHP (usually 10.0.0.3)
>
>
>problem:
>
>everything worked fine until i blew out and re-installed win2k server on the server box. when i set it up, i set the domain back to what it was originally (kk2.local). the workstation and server communicate just fine like nothing ever happened.
>
>i can access smoothwall from both the server and workstation, both by pinging 10.0.0.254 and by in web browsers. i can connect to my isp using the smoothwall web interface. i also bypassed the smoothwall completely and i did obtain internet data
>transfer (connecting directly to my workstation).
>
>when i try to access the internet, i cannot. i get &quot;page cannot be displayed&quot; in my browser and pinging outside my &quot;green&quot; network turns up no responses.
>
>i don't know what else to say or i would be more descriptive. i don't know what else to check.
>
>
>TIA for any input!
>

UPDATE:
this seems to be more of a windows 2000 server issue, NOT smoothwall.

before i blew out the win2kserver intallation, the only dhcp setting i had configured was the router (smoothwall) so all clients recieved the gateway address automatically. that is it. i had to do nothing else in order for both the server and any clients to access the internet.

now, i have the internet working but it took more to do so. i set up the router in the dhcp configuration again, but in order for the clients to access the internet, i also had to specify the smoothwall machine's ip address as the dns server in the dhcp configuration setting. this is something i did not have to do before.

on the server, if i remember correctly, i believe the only thing i had to do before was add the smootwall machine's ip address as the default gateway in the nic's connection properties to get it online. now, not only did i have to do that, but i also had to change the &quot;Preferred DNS Server&quot; (which was set to 127.0.0.1 btw) to the smoothwall
machine's ip address as well.

why did i not have to do this before and why is it not working the same? any ideas?

tia!

WHOA... OK, UPDATE...

i just had a thought... unfortunately for me i am not at home now... just got to work and will have to wait 9 hours before i can &quot;play&quot; with it again... lol.

anyway, the ONLY thing i can think of doing differently when installing server was this time i unchecked IIS (i.e. did not install IIS). my thinking was that i will be running my web server on a linux box running apache and that i wouldn't want/need IIS on the server. i suppose if this is indeed the cause, then i will just leave it as is. why would i want IIS on it if i am not going to be using it, right?

i will let you know later... please still respond if you have thoughts.

Sounds to me like you have a DNS problem on the 2000 server. You must have the server looking at itself for DNS resolution if it is the PDC. The same applies to the clients. They must be looking to the 2K serevr for DNS resolution. You can setup forwarders in DNS to the linux box if you like. Make sure you dont have a '. ' root entry in DNS. That would mean no requests leave the 2K DNS server. If you have then delete it. You should only have kk2.local in the DNS entry. Test the dns server.

Let us know what happens next.......

yeah, my initial reaction was &quot;what with DNS is causing this?&quot;

i installed IIS and it did not do anything to help... so much for the &quot;what did i do different thought.&quot;

as i said this is a new install, when i configured the server i used the wizard and selected the &quot;this is the only server&quot; option. i checked the DNS and i did have a '.' entry. i did delete it leaving only kk2.local, but to no avail. same result.

now, i am positive i never touched DNS in any way, shape, or form the first time around. so why would a new installation not work? i don't get it.

the only settings i adjusted the first time besides setting up users in AD, was the addition of the router ip address in the DHCP scope options. that is all.

any other suggestions are welcomed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back