Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Server and SQL server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobza

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
ZA
I have a win2k server machine, with dual processors, when i go into task manager and look at the processes page, the system idle process is running at 99% cpu usage, which is normal, but when i look at the performance page, the cpu runs at around 50%, where as it should be much lower. Plz can you give me your suggestions on what i must do to rectify the problem. Should update the bios? Thanks from Rob. P.S. Could it be a virus?

I forgot to add, SQL 2000 IS RUNNING.
From Rob

In Services make sure there are no services STARTING as opposed to STARTED.

What kind of server is it?
Some Compaqs had a problem with overheating parts.

Start shutting down things and what happens to CPU.

Updated bios and drivers are always recommended. GlennA
MIS, IT, Gofer

Trying to figure out why you mention SQL... is the CPU utilization high only when SQL is running? Or does it stay up even after stopping SQL and the SQL Agent?

You've got something flaky. I have a similar setup, a Dell PowerEdge 1550 server and we also run SQL Server and PervasiveSQL servers on it for our AR and Great Plains applications and I don't think I EVER pass 25%.

What are the specs on your server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back