Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Server / 98 Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMTnut

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
US
I need help setting up test enviroment. Win2k Server and 98se Client with DS client installed. When the 98 client trys to logon I get "no domain server available"

I can ping the server from the client but from the server I can not ping the client ( I get a time out). I have tried Dynamic IP and Static IP. When I use DHCP the server assigns a IP address but the client can not sign on.

any suggestion???

Thanks
Richard

Have you setup Active Directory on your W2k? Could you also list the test environment such as routers, switches, and hubs?

Trimelater

That's funny, I had almost the exact same problem yesterday. Win98 client would recieve an IP from the DHCP, the server and client could both ping each other, but you could not logon to the domain from that system. At first I was thinking it was a problem with the user account, but I tried different accounts from that system, and got the same error everytime. Then I tried that users account on a different system and it worked fine. I eventually got it working, but I'm not sure which of the things I did got it working.

A couple things to try:
uninstall/reinstall NIC
uninstall/reinstall Client for Microsoft Networks
Verify the NICs in both machines are working.
Verify the cat5 cables are working.

Yes- I do have Active Directory installed on the Win2k Server. My test enviroment is only one server and 3 work stations connected to one hub. I am running in mix-mode. I will be adding a NT server to the test enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back