Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Server 2 NIC's LOOOONG boot time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2002
US
I have a windows 2000 webserver, with 2 nics. One is inside our firewall, and should log into our DC (also 2k)and map network drives. the other is outside our firewall, and should use only our ISP's DNS and should not even look for our domain. When i start the server, it takes forever to boot. (obviously having trouble finding the DNS or PDC as when i disconnect the outside cable it works fine) also, when it finally boots, it doesn't map the network drives (can't find them)

at present the only way for me to do it is to disconnect the outside line when i'm booting, then connect it after boot is complete. The outside line is necessary, as it's the line our traffic to the webserver comes in on (we don't want to bog down the firewall, so use a separate firewall for the webserver)

Any ideas how to get around this?

Thanks.

IF that server is running DNS try putting the 1st DNS address as that server. I know when a DC is running if the DNS dont point at itself it can take along time to load but once i changed it to point at itself it loaded much faster. Not sure about how else to change boot up time. You could stop running some services that are not needed.

The boot up time is a result of the server being unable to find the PDC/DNS/File Servers.

I have this problem also and the long boot time (up to 10 mins) seems to be to do with the server trying to contact the outside world. However there is no consistancy in the behaviour at bootup as we have 450 servers. Some boot straight away and some take 10 mins. I'd love to know the answer to this one.
AndyMac

Its almost guaranteed to be a DNS configuration problem. If DNS is not set up right the machine will take forever to boot. Your DNS servers should point to themselves for DNS. IF its not a DNS server it must be configured for the wrong DNS server. If its configured for a DNS server that is unreachable for example...

DNS all set up correctly and set to point to itself. All AD components in DNS have populated OK which us usually an indicator that all is well. Most sites are ISDN and the forwarder DNS servers are remote. I though it may be to do with the ISDN line being brought up but have experienced the same problem on leased line sites. Once all is up and running there are no performance issues whatsdoever , even with resolution of DNS records. Had me foxed now for 12 months and no fix in sight.

You can use DNS service on your server for the internal network, and then use Routing services to route to the other NIC you have connected to the outside world any ip address (in your network) requesting to reach the outer network .
SO this way, your server resolves your internal DNS, and if someone needs to reach the outside world, the routing sevrice will tell to look in the ISP DNS by routing the request to the other NIC you have.
I hope this helps you Keep fighting for your knowledge!

got the answer thanks to Robert. (kudos, robert)

in network and dial up settings, select advanced from the menu, then advanced propererties. move the internal lan up in the ensuing dialog.

then make sure you're not trying to register your connection with the dns settings. this did the trick for me.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back