Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Ruins Win98 Network Browsing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrogard

Technical User
Sep 13, 2002
AU
I've got a win2k machine on a Win98 network.
All the win98 machines can see each other and their shares when I am not up.

when my machine comes up they cannot see each other and cannot see their shares.

I can see them but I cannot see their shares - clicking on them gets me a 'network path not found' message.

In dos I can net view them all - but I cannot net use them at all. I can't even net view one machine.. e.g. net view \\server - I will get path not found even though net view just showed me the path in the list of machines on the net.

I have netbios over tcp running. I have guest account enabled. I have identical accounts on my machine and on the win98 machines (one of them). I have an LMHOSTS file with an entry for the server and one of the win98 machines.

I have sharing enabled and permissions granted.

nbtstat shows I am the only machine with a netbios remote machine name table showing --MSBROWSE-- if that means anything.

In fact I played with LMHOSTS a bit (putting #PRE in there and such) and now nbtstat just give me an error 'host not found' when I try to nbtstat -a the server or a win98 client.

But I can ping these machines....

any ideas will be welcomed....

I thought i had it beat once when playing in dos with net commands suddenly everything worked.... I went off to do something else and when I came back it wasn't working again.

So maybe the whole fault is with the win98 setup. And playing around they suddenly got it right for a moment. And then undid it. But what could that be?

Maybe it is worth trying to disable the Master Browser feature of the Win2000 machine (?) How to, see
thread616-98266.

I'll try it but there's two parts to what you point me to:
one part says set Maintainserverlist to 'NO'
and the second part say if I do it'll crash the browser service! So suggests disabling the browser service but doesn't say how to do it...

I'll see how I go.... thanks :)

silly question but does the win2k machine have the same computer name or same ip as one of the win98 machines?

What else are you running? Anything that could interfere with browser communications?

i've got zonealarm, norton anti-virus, gozilla, killad, dns2go, icq and various odds and sods that pop up from time to time (usually without me asking)..

Hi there

If you want to mix Windows 95/98/2000 machines on a network then you must set "User Level Access Control" not "Share Level Access Control" and specify who can use the shared resource by means of a Username and Password!

Find it on the "Access Control" tab in the "Network Setup" screen.

Hope this helps

Tony

K1W169 - no, there's no common IP numbers or names. There's only five machines on the network so it's pretty easy to be sure about that.

tonyflavell - it doesn't work like that in win2000 and remember everyone can see everyone okay when my machine is not up....

johnduggie - yes, I've got zonealarm and norton... I'll try disabling them...

john duggie -
you look like you're talking to yourself, john, but that's right... when i disable zonealarm everything's alright.

on closer inspection there's an advanced configure in zone alarm that allows entry to selected computers. I can still run zone alarm if I configure that part to allow each computer in the network in.

thankyou...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back