Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN2K Routing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have WIN2K Advanced Server running the routing services as my LAN router. I have 2 dlink cards installed, one configured on the WAN (via static DSL) and the other on the LAN. The system connects to the internet fine, most of the time, however, from time to time(about 2-3 times a day) I am unable to connect. To resolve this problem, I have to disable BOTH NIC cards, and re-enable them to regain routing. It has just become a nuisance. Any help is appreciated! (If it helps this server is also running the following: IIS, DNS Server, DHCP Server, Terminal Server(Admin), ADS)

Tks,

J. Newman
jimtx@arn.net

Are you running any kind of firewall software? I had a problem with DHCP being blocked because of my firewall. Once I added the DHCP servers to my trusted zone, everything worked fine.

Try to enable dynamic DNS. I had a similar problem and never quite figured out the cause. I noticed I had DNS errors in my system logs that kept telling me to add hosts to my zones. I enabled dynamic DNS (very recently) and I don't seem to be having any problems. I hope this helps, check your system logs for any DNS errors.

Am not running anykind of firewall software...How do I enable dynamic DNS....sorry I am not as DNS savvy as I need to be....I am however, having vaious DNS server errors in the system logs....tks for the help, just point me to the appropiate place to change this setting!

You've probably already found out how, but just in case:

Get properties on the DNS zone. Change the value in "Allow Dynamic Updates" to Yes.

*If you have Active Directory-Integrated DNS then "Secure Updates Only" is recommended.

You'll want to do this on both Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones.

Try doing a google search for the dns errors and see if you can get rid of them. Also, try a route print and see if anything strange is on the networking you may have overlooked. (Be honest, I think gorgor right, though.) Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The past, though it cannot be relived, can always be repaired."
John La Farge (1835-1910); U.S. artist.

May seem silly but I didn't hear what kind of clients you were running on. If you are running any clients pre 2K try installing and enabling WINS. I found this to be the fix for me.

Still no luck..... I have changed to 3COM Cards, made all of the DNS change suggestions(which cleared most of the DNS errors up). All clients are either XP or 2K machines. Any other suggestions?

Tks,

J. Newman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back