Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k routing functions and 3rd party firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabby117

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2003
US
If there is a win2k server performing routing functions (including VPN), is it a bad idea to install a 3rd party software firewall on that server? I'm incined to say it is, becaus of conflict issues, but I don't have the expertise to back up that inclination. My suggestion was that the routing functions of the server be fine tuned to block out unwanted traffic, but I'm not personally in a position to do that fine tuning.
Thx.

I would advise getting a hardware firewall. I have a feeling you will run into troubles with a software one on a box running RRAS...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

What if you do not need routing between the two networks?

Can I just drop another nic and not worry about connections getting dropped

I need reliability for sure

THX
-WESTSIDE

I would go with a better solution than Windows can provide. You can get Smoothwall for free and set it up on a cheap box with 3 NICs to provide what you need. It will be a much better solution IMO...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

You could make a test win2k server with the software firewall (HW FW's are very expansive) in a spare computer and test it for a few weeks doing some traffic over it with valid, non valid packets and even trying to hack it; if it stands modify Your primary server,You could even use the test as a honeypot later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back