Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K reboots when I select shut-down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougzilla

Technical User
Oct 16, 2001
US
When I select shut down on my computer, it automatically reboots itself. I think it is being caused by a program, however, I have som many installed I was looking for a shortcut fix. Does anyone know of a place in the registry that will allow me to repair this fault. I have installed SP2 and all the latest drivers. I thought Win2K was supposed to protest its' own files from this sort of thing.
Thanks for any help.

I think whats happening is being caused by APM being disabled in your computers BIOS - check advanced power management is enabled here first.

m4tty,
APM is enabled. This is more of a software problem, since it was working correctly up until 2 days ago. Thanks.

Direct cd causes these problems.(stop it from loading at startup)
Norton anti-virus has a setting to check floppy on shut down that is known to cause the problem.(uncheck the box for check floppy on shut down)
A open GL screen saver will cause the problem as well.(change to non open GL screen saver.)

I have tried uninstalling SP2 and several programs that I loaded the same day it started messing up. I went through the registry to ensure that "PowerDownAfterShutDown" was enabled. Still no dice. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back