Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Profiles and Netware v5 Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdeane

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
GB
Anybody have an help to offer..

I manage 300 mixed NT4 and Win2k client machines on 11 Netware 5 servers, connected over Frame Relay. Problem I have is bloody Profiles. It's driving me nuts.

Win2k Profiles are created in \\server\home just fine, if upgrading OS from NT4 to Win2k old NT4 profile is left in place and new profile is created. Not a problem. However client machine loses it's profiles and trying to create a new profile is painful. Why is it that Win2k loses the profile and why is it that Netware client v4.8 does not login to the client machine bringing the profile down. If I remove it off the Win2k client machine and manually create an account with .Admin rights it loses it again when I log backin via Win NT Netware client. Any help appreciated.

Tony Tony Deane
Technical Director

Tony

Are you using ZEN User/Workstation policy packages to detail your profiles?

How do you create your profiles if not? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Zen is used, and all works fine. Dynamic profiles are used and again this works fine. However, sorry there's a however.. we keep losing profiles, they get corrupted and do not come back down to client machine. Only seems to be Win2k. NT4 clients seem to happy.

Thanks for the quick reply.. it's appreciated.
Tony. Tony Deane
Technical Director

As you will know, the NT and W2K profiles do not get stored in the same directory. The NT profile is in a directory beginning with NT4.0 and the W2K profile is in a directory cbeginning with NT5.0.

Well anyway, here's the usual excuse. You mentioned that you were running Novell Client v4.8, if you do not have SP3 for this client, get it and install it.

Failing that, try Novell Client v4.81 which has superceeded v4.8 due to all of the issues with it.

I correct myself:

NT = Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Profile
W2K = Windows NT 5.0 Workstation Profile -----------------------------------------------------

All sorted now thanks, installed SP3 service pack. Done the trick.

Thankx for all your help.

Tony. Tony Deane
Technical Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back