Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k professional shutdown adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroce

MIS
Nov 30, 2000
US
when you hit start>shutdown, some of my win2k machines power completely off, and some only shut off to the point where it says "it is now safe to turn off your computer"

there must be some setting somewhere that allows you to control which one comes up - does anyone know where it is? So far I've tried the BIOS and the Power Applet under control panel, but I didn't immediately recongize a place where I could do this

thanks! How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

Oddly enough I had this problem with an emachines that had w2k on it, with no service pack. When I installed the SP2, the machine now powers off automatically. Strange, I thought at first. My only guess as to why this would be is that SP2 may be more familiar with different kinds of power management features for motherboards. You might want to look at the bios settings again for allowing you OS to shut the system down, your bios might not support it. As far as a setting to chose auto power off in W2k I have not seen one, I have only seen this feature in newer style motherboards.

I beleave the PCs that you have shutting all the way down have or had ACPI enabled in the BIOS when 2000 was first installed. Of course the PCs that require you to shut them down probably had ACPI disabled ( or dont even support it ) when you first set them up.

The thing to Remember about ACPI is that it is also a standard & any problems related to having it enabled are generally attributed to the BIOS or or specific Drivers
( as I said it is considered a standard, so technically it cant be considered at fault. Even if it is :p )

I personnelly dont use ACPI if I can help it ( it has never killed me to lean over & shut the PC off ), but I have had no problem with it on 2000 when I have had it enabled on the PCs on my network.

If disabling ACPI is not an option in your BIOS ( Gateway E3600 ) then Choose S1 over S3 as S1 is a less featureless set that is more backward compatible friendly when compared to S3 ( Just a note, Win 98 will not support S3 ).

i didn't see any kind of setting for ACPI in my bios, I guess then I ought to look for an upgrade, flash it, and see if a setting appears - sounds like an idea, maybe? How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

Well,
I turned on automatic shutdown by enabling APM in the power management section of the Display applet in te Control panel. After I checked the box it never failed to shutdown. Ofcourse I have APM also enabled in the BIOS.

Gdlck, TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back