Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Pro with Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedromiranda

Technical User
Mar 14, 2004
PT
Hello,

I´m runing a win2k pro OS, and i´m having this problem for the third time... all the other times i have formated the pc and intall win2k again... A few months later and with no special reason the problem appears again.

The problem is:

I start the pc, everything goes ok, i go to the splash screen, with the progressive blue bar... the bar goes all the way until the finish, and then, instead of entering the screen where we put the username/password, the computer restarts....

The things I have tried:
- I Tried all the F8 options, like safe mode, last knonw good config, debug, every one of them....
- I tried to unplug every USB, and extra hardware, changing the rams into different slots, etc

Some times it works, and sometimes not.... i mean, some times I let the computer trying to enter, and restarting, i go for a ride, and when I get home a few hours later, it is on the log on page and ok... When I manage to get inside, i made ALL windows updates, drivers updates, antivirus check, etc.... I restart... and the same problem....
Sometimes i get in fast, and sometimes not... Right now, I cant enter since 12 hours ago... and so I´m writing this post....

Well, while i was writing this post, i used the recovery console, on win2k cd, and run a chkdsk /r... and i found this:

The Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems

Well... this could be the problem dont you think ?

Replace the hard drive.
Else try partitioning the drive to eliminate the bad sectors and install W2K on a second partition.

MCP

It could also be other hardware issue (eg, RAM) which is causing problelms elsewhere. Have you got another machine you could check the drive in (run chkdsk & drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility). If this gives bad results, retrieve your data and replace the drive. If not, then you'll need to look at other hardware i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back