Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Pro serious problems- urgent help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepmur

Programmer
Dec 14, 2003
PT

Hello,

I have win2k Pro desktop machine I use to connect to the net via adsl. Everything was running fine untill after rebooting the machine,
I am unable to connect to the ADSL.

I started getting a error "Unable to start Remote Access services manager". In services, am unable to start almost any of the services

The Routing and remote access and the Remote procedure call Services appear as disabled and I cant even open their properties to change
them! this is very weird. On rightclicking any of the services and cliking on Properties, nothing happens! i.e I cant see the properties
window but when i try to close MMC, I get a message "Please close all property pages before closing services" !!

Trying to start any other service gives me the kind of error
" Could not start the Telephony service on Local computer
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start "

Same goes for Remote Access connection manager etc..

The only recent changes I had made was disabling telnet and installing openSSH but even after uninstalling this software, nothing changes.

Would deeply appreciate some urgent help on this..

thnx,

sg

Check all your services in administrative tools. You may have disable one that is needed. Set it Automatic

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

I did check all the services, even tried enabling every one of them, need them or not but Nothing..

I simply cant enable the needed services.. Whats worse, I cant even view the Property window!

what has gone wrong with my machine ! :( ?

Ok are logging in as administrator?

Check for viruses, run a virus scan with up to date definitions!

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
Bsc. (Hons).

I am using a Anti-virus and Firewall by computer associates. both are set to maximum security and the antivirus did not detect anything and yes both are updated regularly and so are the win2k updates.

I did notice that in the firwall, some UDP ports were enabled. I quickly disabled them and removed the system from the network.

Is there any possibility of recovering my system ?

thnx

Do you have admin rights on the PC?

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
Bsc. (Hons).

Tried the win2k repair option. It did detect a series of missing and corrupted files but couldnt replace most of the files.

Long story short the problem continues..:(

'Everything was running fine untill after rebooting the machine' - are you leaving out some information here. Eg, why did you reboot machine - had you just installed something. I suspect you made a change you're not telling us about.

Have you tried a repair reinstall (not a repair) -
- read it carefully - you choose new install (NOT REPAIR) - and it offers repair.

Good Point indeed wolluf !!

Beside this, did you update your machine with Win2k service Pack 4? Microsoft have lots of issue in his earlier win2k service pack.

NO one can drive us crazy unless we give them the key

No particular reason for the reboot. The machine was up for many days and after the breakin, just wanted to effect a reboot.

Tried the Reinstall-repair option but still didnt help. and yes had SP4 and all other non critical updates too.

In any case, have solved the issue by reinstalling windows.

Thnx for all the help..

sg

Maybe there is some credential conflicts, did you rename any administrator username, or did you modify any permission on the root drive unit and/or in windows down folders? If so, as i suffered some time ago, you'll have to reinstall windows. Or maybe try to restore the system to an older date.

see you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back