Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k pro printing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

malaking

Technical User
Apr 9, 2001
US
I am setting up a win2k pro workstation and I can't print to the local printer unless I am logged in as administrator. The printer is a hp deskjet 950c and their tech support was no help. When I try to print as a user I get this error message in the event log:
"Event ID: 45
Document failed to print due to GDI/Driver error in rendering."

I checked all obvious permissions and everything seems ok. What am I missing here. This is really driving me insane!

Thanks

I've been having a similar problem -- with an HP 2100 TN. In this case, I *can* print to it, but everything I print comes out of tray 2 if I'm not logged in as an admin.

I've tried setting privileges over the printer as broadly as possible. The option to select a paper tray comes up outside the admin profile, but the print job ignores whatever the non-admin user selects...

No help from tech support there, either... :-(

I would recommend logging in as the Admin, uninstalling the printer, manually removing all files associated with the driver set, reboot, then reinstall the printer again.

I think I found the answer on another forum...I added Everyone to both the temp and the spool directories and it seems to work ok now. Thanks for the advice.

I've tried the uninstall/reinstall process -- no help there. But I will try adding everyone to the temp and spool directories -- sounds promising... ;-) Thanks...

I had a similar problem and removing and reinstalling the printer wasn't enough I had to go into the registry and delete it out. Once you delete it there, the printer is completely whiped out of your system and it will be a clean reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back