Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Pro Print subsytem unavailable 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSimo77

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
US
**I have read many threads here and FAQs. It is possible I overlooked something but please don't say read FAQ without a link or quote please.**

We are a small business. No IT dept. (Sadly im it. I used to be IT but switched careers.) We have several computers and printers. We are about to set up a printer network so that all computers have access to all printers. However, One system is connected to only one printer and this is the one we're having problems with. It is Win2K Pro and it’s connected to a HP DeskJet 712C. I recently updated windows with all service packs and most updates. Now we can't print. When I click the print button I get "No printers are installed. To install a printer, point to settings on the Windows Start menu, click printers, and then double click Add Printer." When I try that I get, "Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources. The print subsystem is unavailable." I've tried all suggestions on this page thread83-193630 I've done the regedit, I’ve done the sys32/printers delete, and I’ve made sure that spool was set to automatic. I'm completely out of ideas. Should I just re-install windows?

One thing you can try if you haven't already, is delete the printer, go to the registry to local machine\software\ look for the HP folder (be sure it's the printer, hope you don't have a Hewlett Packard computer) and delete this folder.

Unplug your printer and reboot, let windows load and then shutdown....plug in your printer and power the computer on. Windows should find the printer and install it.

D2001

Probably won't help in this case, but win2k won't print unless you have at least 19MB of free disk space.

thanks for the tips. I have edited the registry and I have the disk space. Thanks for the tips anyway. If you got any others keep em coming.

This sounds so simple I'm sure you tried it but ....

SYMPTOMS
After you install Microsoft Office 2000 in Windows 2000, you may receive the following error message in certain situations and custom installations when you attempt any printing action:

The Print Subsystem is unavailable.
Also, printers in the Printers folder may display an "Unable to connect" status.
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because Office 2000 Setup stops the print spooler at certain points during the installation process. When the fax driver for Microsoft Outlook 2000 is installed, the spooler is stopped and may not be restarted.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, start the print spooler. To do so, type net start spooler at a command prompt, or start the service under Services in Computer Management.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft Office 2000.

I'm not sure if any of this will be useful but I figure it can't hurt?

The HP DeskJet 712C requires an ECP Parallel port to work properly -- is this configured correctly under Win2K and your system's BIOS (e.g., you have bi-directional printing enabled, BIOS lists the port as ECP, set to right LPT port #, etc.)

Also, have you downloaded the latest printer driver from the HP web site? I know that a lot of the older DeskJet series had huge memory leakeage problems -- I sometimes would have to reboot after printing almost every document before I'd successfully be able to send something else to the printer (this was under Win9x)

Finally, you said that you set the print spooler to automatic, but did you check to see that it was actually running (e.g., started)? I know it sounds silly but I encountered the same problem -- seems another program I installed STOPPED the print spooler AFTER it was automatically started upon boot.

Good luck!

Try checking the print processor. Go into the printer properties, click the Advanced tab, and click the Print Processor button. Make sure it is set to HPPRN02 and that the Default Datatype is RAW. Ours was set to winprint and we received the same error message.

Tried the above steps but still doesn't work, finally just re-install W2K (without formatting the HD) and it works!

I just into this very problem, and tried Pajkico's recommendation on Apr 4. Just did this yesterday and it worked very well. Thanks. I was on the verge of a re-install should I have not figured out how to edit the registry.

Had this identical problem, but found a different path for the solution:

1. Restart the spooler
2. Quickly attempt to open the queue. This may take a few tries
3. Once the queue is open, delete any documents still stuck in the queue.
4. Check the printers folder to see if the printer has reappeared.

Worked like a charm TWICE for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back