Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Pro Network Card Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juxtabeginner

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2001
US
I've never successfully reached the internet with this system. Its a Sony Vaio FX150K, the network adapter is an Intel PRO/100 VE. I was getting a code 10 error but updated the driver and that problem seems to be fixed. I accidently got to a spot in W2k that I cannot find again. It allowed me to test my network adapter. The only test that I remember is the last of five because it failed. It was the LINK test. The troubleshooting guide suggested cable problems but that is not the problem...I used the same cables on another machine and reached the internet successfully. Does anyone know how to get back to that test and how to fix the problem?? Bottom line is I don't know how to get this thing to communicate with the internet. I am able to use it and successfully connect and transfer files between another computer. I have a DSL connection.
TIA.

netdiag.exe from the Support Tools folder on the Win2k CD Rom.

Cannot do...I have a recovery disk. I searched my C: drive for netdiag.exe and did not find it. Some .exe allowed me to get to this test option that is already resident on my hard drive. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
TIA

don't need that 'diagnostic program'.

you haven't really supplied enough information. You have more than one machine? are they hooked into a router? You can't ping? are you getting a 169.xxx blah blah ip address? Lots of stuff is missing....more than like the card is fine, the configuration isn't.

Check the properties of the adapter card and ensure it is set to auto not 100 mbs full duplex or any other setting. go start control panel, network connections right click local area connection, properites, click on the configure button below the connect using drop list and then advanced and ensure connection type is speed autodetect. Just a thought..

This solves many odd issues, the WinsockFix: faq779-4625

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back