Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k pro need multiple (LAN/WLAN) network connections on one nwk card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickg3

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
I have totally separate wired and wireless networks at home. Have a Win2k machine for web development on wired. Due to dumb config change by a web hosting company, I now need to update one site via the wireless network. The TCP/IP properties are different, so I set up a new user and set the TCP/IP properties on the new user for the wireless.

That works, but turns out the users share the TCP/IP properties on the network card. Can't create 2nd network connection as you can't name LAN network connections. Don't want to have to reset TCP/IP properties every time I switch users.

Any suggestions?

TCP/IP property settings are on the adapter, and as you discovered are not user-specific.

Nor are they adjustable by using different hardware profiles.

Use Netsh with its Dump and Restore ability to create simple batch files to change the settings. A good little tutorial on the process is by Daniel Petri:

I was unaware of the Netsh command; I've set up the command files and it does the job nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back