Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Pro keeps making a new profile for an existing user

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrewLewse

Programmer
Mar 9, 2001
US
For some reason... about every week or so.. this computer produces a new profile for a user that already has a profile on the computer. So far it has made 4 new profiles and we just keep moving their data to the new profile or we delete all profiles, make a new one and move their data to that one. I am totally stumped.. got any ideas? Also... there seems to be no information in the even log about it. ugh. _______________________
ScrewLewse
Webmonkey and all'round goof.
davidg@v7s.com

Do you have some good up-to-date anti-virus software, because that sounds like the kind of 'funny' thing someone might do??? James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

Yap. latest antivirus software. Thankfully, I am pretty much the only one here at work with the most harmful abilities. (althought they are not used that way) I tried the idea of a virus, but it doesn't seem to react in a way that would do that. I happen to think this is a registry thing, but I have no idea how/why it would sporadically change settings in the registry.

Could it possibly be policy? I don't know much about policies. (I am a programmer.. gimmie a break! hehe) I wonder... hmmm.

Thanks Mr.Goodman _______________________
ScrewLewse
Webmonkey and all'round goof.
davidg@v7s.com

SL- 1. If you are on Domain & you have admin access try to setup the profile under users & passwords for that particular user on that system locally to match Domain logon (this assuming you are part of a domain which handles users). 2.Check user on Domain and check box for user cannot change password => on.

If you still have the problem start a log on the exact number of days between incidents and programs used with day of & that prior to profile reset. If not exact time or linked to program then you are probably correct in registry issue. If anyone else knows of other reason i'd like to hear it as well. -md

?Also are systems shutdown nightly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back