Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Pro, Client32 & NW 5.0 don't play well

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
I have a NW 5.0 server that I'm accessing using Win2k Pro (recent upgrade for me, and for the rest of my users if I can get this to work right) and Client32 4.83 and I'm getting some strange errors. I was having some performance degradation on my workstation and I checked the server and saw that it was holding steady at about 70% CPU utilization. I also saw that I had 10 active connections, and that was very surprising since my workstation was turned off at the time.

File access on the server is problematic too. If I open a file that was created using Win95 I get different errors. The most common one asks me if I want to revert to the saved version of the file. I hit yes now because that ends the errors for that file. Other files give me an error message that says that I already have the file open. Any file that gives me this message gives the message every time I access that file. AND, where file access used to take about four seconds it now usually takes about 20 seconds (and sometimes longer).

Is there a tweak that I can do to Client32 v4.83 to make things run better? Or maybe some tweaks to the server?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Try turning off file caching in the advance options in the Novell Client properties under advanced. This should solve your network utilization problems. I would also uninstall the Client for Microsoft Networks in network properties. This seems to cause problems also.

I would disagree that W2k and Novell Client 4.83 does not work well with NetWare 5.0 as I know of many companies that have sites running that configuration.

As suggested by Amvest, turn off caching on the Client. Also, if you have SP6 or higher installed, you can turn off caching at the server by typing the following:

SET CLIENT FILE CACHINE ENABLED = OFF
-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Ok, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Amvest--I can't uninstall Client for Microsoft Networks because we're also running an NT server with one of our main database programs.

Lad--How do I check to see what Serivce Pack level I'm at? I tried NVER but it didn't help.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

The easiest way is to type VERSION at the server prompt, it will tell you there. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back