Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Pro and HP printer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainey426

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
Our office has a HP800 Large format printer attached to the network with an internal directjet via tcp/ip. We have 12 CAD stations, all Win2kPro and plot via a Win2k for print servering..
Problem:
4 of the stations have the SPOOL service just shut down for no apparant reason, each at any time. The other 8 are fine and have not once shut down. If you restart it manually in Services.. it runs and may or may not shut down. The O/S states it is making an event listing.. but it is very inconclusive.. i.e. states the Spool service shut down for an unknown reason.

What I have tried:
Ran without active virus protection on System folders on local machines.
Disabled the HPWeb interface.
Updated the Win2k Server driver to most update.
Attached HP800 to a workstation via USB.
Have compared event logs of workstations and Server. Nothing obvious there.
Have looked at the other 8 to see why they are different. They don't appear to be.

I am out of ideas. I have 4 Draftsman following me around like puppys.

I have set the service to restart automatically.. but by chance they always want to print in that one minute window...

Fralinger Engineeing
Brian Rainey
Network Admin

You have changed the driver on the server, but did you remove the old PRN driver on the workstation BEFORE installing the new one ? The installation routine probably told you that it did, but it may be worth checking...

Have you tried replacing one of the failing PC's with a fresly built one ? (I know, luxury siutation, worth a shot though)

HTH

Pete H

I have deleted and reinstalled each of the 4 connections to the HP800 driver on the server from each workstation. On two of the machines.. I immediately get a SPOOL failure when I click on the HP800 device. Surprisingly.. just a click on it and WHAM. On the one machine that I am beatin my head up against the wall on.. If Autocad is open.. it will close down Autocad WITHOUT a chance of saving anything.
I may in fact re-load there... :^(

Our network consultant.. has never heard of this..

Brian

I think the printing side of things is a Red Herring to a problem that could be more fundamental; I think your RunDll32 is corrupt. It's when you said 'I only clicked on it....' that rang a bell.

Can you rebuild one of the PC's with just the bare OS and no apps and try it, then gradually install apps trying it after each time. Time-consuming, I know, but at the very least an approach like this will give you time to think.

HTH

Pete H

omg. it's never good when fish gets into your computer...

I just worked on the main problem machine and found out that the machine was not logging onto the domain properly. I went over those settings and now the user has rights on his machine, similar to everyone else's machines.

Testing is still going on now..

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back