Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIn2k Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dguyver

Technical User
Sep 19, 2002
AU
Hi
I currently have a small LAN of 5 computers, two win2k, two win98se and one winxp machine.. The problem i am having is when i try to look for other computers in network neighbourhood it takes a very long time to find and display the workgroups, once i get into the workgroup, it then again takes a long time to find and display the computers.. once i click on a computer it also takes a very long time to show the contents.. How do i fix this problem..? The other non Win2K machines access the network instantly with no delay.. i've tried different NIC's.. the one i am currently using is a 3Com 3C905TX-based Ethernet Adapter.. Thanks for your help in advance =)

Network card is ok. Check on the following:-

1. Catagory of the LAN cable
2. Quality of the patchcord
3. HUB/Switch you use

If all these are fine, Please let me know the TCP/Ip configuration and the list of protocols enabled.

Please list all protocols also. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

im using cat 5 cables.. ive the cable on the win98 machines and it works fine.. its only the two win2k machines that are suffering from a lag when looking for computers..
im using an intel inbusiness 8-port fasthub
my tcp/ip settings are:
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

What i have installed is:
Client for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

thanks for helping me.. i really appreciate it..

My 2 lil cents
I have 8 machines running on my lil home lan 6 run win2k and 2 run win98se I use linksys nic's only and a linksys router. Do you have them all set up on consecutive ip's or are they sporatic? It helped me to make a shortcut in my network places for the drives/folders I access the most. And I Mapped network drive on all the computers to the win98se machine that has my 120gig drive. Seemed to help me ya might wanna try it.Nothing to lose if it doesn't help simply erase the folder/mapped drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back