Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Machine won't shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheers

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2001
US
I recently re-installed my PWS, which by the way, seems to get confused quite often, and while on the net my system updated it's multimedia stuff. After these changes, my computer does not shut down. When I do the start - shut down bit the computer seems to go into what appears to be Hibernate although this option is not selected. The keyboard locks up with the scroll lock on and, the only way I can turn the computer off is to literally pull the plug. Any options would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

did you by any chance install Media Player 7? I have had to remove this from one of my machines because of the same problem.

Yes I do have media player 7 but I have had it for some time now and didn't have this problem before with it. It is possible, however, that it updated itself to a patch that causes this problem. I will delete it and see what happens.

Thanks

Well, I removed media player 7 but that didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Not sure, but to shut to perform an emergency shutdown, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL then hold CTRL and hit "Shut Down". Just as FYI, not a solution. Will look around for ya...

Dude:

I would try uninstalling the PWS (whatever that is) just to find out if that's the problem.

RevNice

PWS=personal web server
Try shutting off your screen saver. then reboot and then try a proper shut down.
Also if you are using adaptec easy cd creator it can cause shutdown problems as well. If you are running it download the updates for it.

OK, I never use screen savers(consume to much resources) and I have adaptec version 4.5. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back