Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Lockup after setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm trying to install Windows 2000 onto my computer running Win98 on a FAT32 Drive.
After Getting past the first two reboots in the blue screen setup stage - it goes onto the Windows 2000 Splash Screen. About halfway it locks-up!
I've tried disabling UDMA and stuff in my bios, and redoing the first stage of the install a few times and nothing works.

My Config as follows:
AMD K6-2 500
ECS P5TX-Apro ATX M/Board (running @ 83mhz with a 2x muliplier which k6 detects as 6x)
64MB SD-RAM
4 GIG Segate Hard Disk
Latest Bios Update

Any Help would be appreicated!
Thanx in advanced!
Pete

I have had this problem before with W2k server. If you have any external devices installed (Especially USB), remove them and then reboot. If this does not work, check your hardware on the HAL list, if this still does not work; consider checking for BIOS updates for your motherboard. Some older chipsets will cause W2K to lockup.
I hope this helps.

I suspect one of your hardware is not in HCL...well it may be the display adapter or network card or some other internel card. Could you tell that information so that I can put my brains also to your work.

prasanna

Yeah -
Extra Hardware:
a USB Logictech Laser Mouse
SIS 6326 PCI Graphics Card
Intel 10/100+ NIC
Voodoo 1 PCI
32x Creative IDE CD-ROM

Where can i find the HCL? Is it on the CD or on MS's Website?

Thanx a lot

fSorry - i 4got to put this in the last post.

All my hardware worked in Windows 2000 last installation. But I have since changed board from an Asus P4TX (i think - it was a soc7 at) to a ECS P5TX-Apro ATX M/Board.
I updated the BIOS because i couldn't get any NIC's to with the firmware the board had on it. This new update seems to have fixed the problem - but now Win2k won't boot (it @ one stage with the last firmware came up with INACESSABLE_BOOT_DRIVE or something of that sort) - but that was ACPI related.

Anyway I hope that helps
and thanx for everyones help!

Pete

Is Voodoo another AGP card in your machine. If so then try putting only one AGP card and installing and then once the OS is completly UP - shutdown the system and plug in the other card. Then either the OS will recognize or you could use the Device manager and install the driver.
I did check for the peripherals, all of your peripherals are HCL compatable.

let me know

prasanna

Ok the Voodoo card is PCI based - it a dedicated 3D card that only kicks in when it's request by games. It doesn't work with Windows 2000 only 98. In 2000 its an unknown device.

Ok Well I fixed the problem myself (thanx anyways). I started thinking hardware thanx to u guys talking about the HCL! So i got thinking maybe my bus speeds to high (83.5mhz is the boards max). So i dropped it down to 66mhz and it Worked.

Thanks everyone for all their help and effort.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back