Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Laptop sitting on 2 different domains 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2002
US
Is there a solution for a Windows 2000 Laptop to function properly so that it performs properly when connected to 2 different domains?

I know a person who needs to have an office in 2 different locations with 2 different domains. He needs to go to each office, connect the laptop to the network and then login.

Please advise

I think different user profiles can belong to different domains. So log onto domainA as user1. Then create a new profile for user2 and log on locally and join that to domainB. I may be wrong, but I think this will work, I know it is possible because one of my users had the same setup, but didn't know how it was done... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Mattwray,

Once, the domain name was changed from My Computer -> Properties, the other domain disappeard form the Logon box in the Welcome screen and the Computer account needed to be created in the other domain.

You can't be a member of two domains at the same time. If you join one, you will have to rejoin the other the next time you try to logon to it. I have tried this before with no luck. I even tried hardware profiles thinking you can have 2 different network card settings for the different domains, but that's not what hardware profiles are designed for and it didn't work either.
Rick

It is possible to have one machine log into 2 different domains, as I said one of my users laptops wass setup this way from a previous company. I was not talking about computer accounts. I mean user accounts. Create a new user thru local users and groups. Log onto your machine locally and under the network ID see if there is the domain your currently on or a workgroup. If its a workgroup try and join the other domain while logged on as that user. I think this is the way to set it up, but I could be wrong..But it is possible.

If there's more than one domain listed in the drop down list it's because of trusted domains. Once a machine's a part of a domain, it's part of that domain for all profiles. Marc Creviere

FP, that's just it...once I create an account on one domain (ex. DomainA), the other domain (ex. DomainB) disappears from the list. Which indicates that in order to rejoin DomainA, I'll have to recreate the account and sacrifice DomainB account.

I have raked my brain...any thoughts from you???

Is it possible for you to set up a trust as Marc stated between the 2 domains? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

What I've done in these situations is just have a local account that they log into, and have them authenticate to the domains as needed. You could set up batch files to map drives and printers using their user name and they'll have to supply their password any time they want to use them. Unfortunately I've never run into an elegant solution to this. Marc Creviere

That's a good idea, I will remember that. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

OK!

First you cannot be a part of two domains, but there are ways around it! First get your self a software called netswitcher(not so good) or Globesoft MNM (I prefer this) and that's it! You can use it to configure in both domains and it works fine, it is a hassle to setup at first but then all is smooth sailing.

PS If you have novell client installed it should also work, but I have not installed the client on mine. I have also found with netswitcher that the novell client stuffs up most of the configs for the user.

Good Luck!

Nalin.

I have a laptop problem with domain confusion. I tried to add a home domain on a system with an office domain. The laptop seemed to recognize that I was hooked up to a hub. However, after a reboot I can't logon. I think I have confused the work domain with my home domain. Any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back