Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K keeps hanging durring install!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon13

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2003
US
I am trying to install Win2k on an older machine. I upgraded the BIOS so that I could boot from the cd-rom, that corrected my first problem. Now when setup initializes and it runs through all the configuration files it hangs at the blue screen and stays at "Setup is starting Windows 2000"!!!! I have gone into the BIOS and disabled all unnecessary functions and set the hardware config to let the OS detect! I am at a loss here and do not know what else to do! Can somebody help me, I am under a deadline!!! Thanx!

Spoon,
Have you removed all the devices and stripped the machine down to bare bones; i.e. motherboard, CDRom, HD, video card? I've run into the issue of peripherals and devices getting in the way of a clean install and had successful install after the devices were removed. If the install goes successfully, then you can add the devices back one at a time and let W2K discover them and set the up properly.

Just an idea, for what it's worth.

Knock and the door shall be opened unto you. Seek and ye shall find! [peace]

I love Mondays cause they're the Second day of the week!

Is there a virus checker enabled in the bios (disable it if there is).

Thanks for the input guys! Unfortunatley I tried both ideas and am still getting the same results!!

It may be that the ACPI HAL is detecting hardware incorrectly. Two things you can try when you see the screen during install that says "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver". You can press F5 which will allow you to choose the appropriate HAL for your system (hal.dll is the standard PC HAL). Or you can press F7 at this point to have Windows 2000 automatically pick and choose a different HAL that would still be compatible to your system (there is no indication displayed that this key has been pressed and installation will continue as normal; however, a different HAL will be used). Had to do this once before and it worked for me. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back