Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2k... file sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

holychit

Technical User
Mar 7, 2002
US
I have a file sharing problem... I have win2k on my main system and I'm trying to file share with systems that run win me and 98. When I try to open the shared files the 98/me systems ask me for a password. I didn't assign a password, but I even try my administrative password and I still can't get through to the win2k system. can you help me?

hello
try this :
define a user in the w2k system and define the same user in win98/me. if both users have the same username and password, you should be able to connect to your share.

your problem: when you only enter the password in win98/me to connect to the share, w2k does not know witch user wants to connect. (also if you enter the adminpassword)
if the user is logged in on w98/me, then w2k got a account and then you can enter the password.

hth
alex

Without looking at security issues, you can always enable the Built-In Windows 2000 "Guest" account. But then again it ain't the best solution considering security but an alternative to your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back