Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k File permissions & ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

glynnj

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
IE
I have set up user folders for our users and mapped them using Active directory group policies.The folders are hidden shares.

My question is what is the correct configuration for file & share permissions on the user folders, with the following conditions?

File quotas are in use.
The user should not be able to change permissions.
The Administrator should have full control.
When a file is copied into the users folder the file should inherit owner from the user whose folder it is copied into. (At the moment, files copied into the user folders have the Administrator as the owner.)

Thanks and regard,

Joe

Give users change permissions, admins full control on both share and directory. You need to make the each user owner of their directory via the advanced tab in security to get the files to reflect that....

I'v got the permissions sorted - my main problem is with file/folder ownership. I have got every user to do a take ownership of their folder. As I said, we have Quota's. When I look at the quota details windows, I can see the Administrators file usage increasing. The only thing on this drive is User folders so how do I find out which files are owned by the administrator?

After having user take ownership, those changes need to be force replicated to sub-folders and files. It's kind of a pain because the folders must be owned by the users in order for quotas to work. When creating the user accounts, the home directory should be created with the necessary permissions.

Thanks Tom11011. Do you know any way or utility that would give me a report on file/folder ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back