Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezdread

Technical User
Oct 23, 2000
GB
Hi, I've recently installed the win2k encryption software but the readme file does not give much info on what if nything I can do with it, I couldn't find much on the MS site so just wondering if anyone can give me some idea what it is for?

I used to use an encrption prog for win9x and that had shell support so I could right click a file and choose to encrypt or decrypt it. I guess I was expecting a similar function.

I have found where to encrypt the files/folders and when I encrypt them I can still view them without having to decrypt them? Not what I was expecting.

Could someone please explain what the benefits of this new MS security are to me?

Hi Tezdread, I am not sure what you mean by Win2k encryption software, but did you know that Win2k will allow the "owner" of any file or folder to encrypt that folder or file. You do this by right clicking on the file while you are in explorer, open Properties go to the General Tab and at the bottom of the block click on Advanced. In there you will find a tick-box to allow you to encrypt the file. However, be warned that only the "owner" can de-encrypt the file and/or open the file. The Administrator can take ownership of the file and de-encrypt it unless you make sure that the Administartor does not have access to take ownership. I can't quite remember where this is set, but its probaly in the permissions in Control Panel - Admins Tools - Computer Management - Local Users & Groups, etc. I still find the best way to protect a file is to give it a password in the application you are using, (i.e. Word or Excel, for example), but of course that doesn't apply to folders. Bye. Electron.

Thanks electron, I had found the place to encrypt the file but I was still only looking at it under my logon so it never made any difference, after logging on as a different user I could see that I no longer had access to the file.

Still not sure why MS have made this available? I was under the impression that when you set permissions on files/folders this was secure enough to keep those you don't want viewing the files/folders from doind so.

Now I am unsure whether or not the security permissions are as secure as I first thought. Does any one of any security vunerabilities with the permissions in Win2k or WinNT?

Hi,
I found out by playing around with the security permissions on different folders, (by right click on the folder when in Explorer), that if you log on as the Administrator, you can take ownership of the folder and then change the permissions. I have yet to find out how to prevent this, but I am sure there is a way. For me its not a problem now, so I don't have an answer for you. Perhppas someone else can help. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back