Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Drive Mapping VERY SLOW on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2002
US
I have 2 Win2K systems with a drive mapped on one which is to be accessed by the other. On initial bootup and after typing in the password it takes 30 to 45 seconds to find and map the drive. If I log off and log back on, the drive mapping connects instantly.

Also.. the system that is attempting to map the drive was upgraded to Win2K from 98SE. Under 98SE the mapping was an instant connection also.

Does anyone have an idea on this?

So far:
Updated NIC drivers
Switched NIC's with different brand (no change)
Re-installed File and printer sharing

I would search for a way to manually specify the location of the drive. //computer2/blah:

An automatic search for drives would be the reason win2k would be acting funny. I'm not even sure if win2k does that though. However, I know drive mapping in win98 was pretty direct so I could be correct. ::shrug::

Just an upate - Found the problem to be one systems network protocol as TCP/IP with an assigned IP address. The other system (the one which was slow to map to the drive) was only using NetBEUI with TCP/IP looking for a DHCP assigned IP address.

Assigned an IP address to the system and mapping was again instantly available.

Thanks for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back