Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Domain and client trust issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty78

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
US
The LAN in question is made of all windows 2000 machines. I have one user who was installed and authenticated to the domain with windows 2000 professional, the DC is a win2k server with AD, DHCP installed. This user no longer needed a connection to the windows lan segment. (This was a year ago). Now this user has been loggin onto a local account on a machine that was in use by a past employee who has since been terminated. The local account has the exact credentials of the users domain account. When I ran a cat-5 cable to the machine it was instantly able to view the domain and browse the web(while logged in to the computers local account). I logged off and logged back on as the local admin and added her domain account and set it so the profile path pointed to her 'local accounts' profile so all of her personal settings were also accessable to her domain account. I then logged off of the administrative account and attempted to login with her domain account, the login failed and stated that the account was either missing or the password was incorrect. I checked AD and the computer account was there, and her user account was there, and all the info was being entered correctly. I can log her on to the machine locally and she has web access, can browse shared files on the lan, and can access her network shares located on the DC. I cannot log her on to the client machine with her domain account. I have searched high and low, but could only find others asking about the same problem...never any answers. Anyone have any pointers?

From the workstation, put her computer in a workgroup (doesn't matter the name). In AD, remove the workstation's computer name from the Computer OU, then go back to the workstation and join it to the domain and all should be well.

I have done this before...and it does work for the domain login problem...works great, but...maybe I did something wrong before..when I did this before the user was able to logon to the domain, but I could not get his profile from his local account to mesh with his profile from his domain account...and after a bit of registry tweaking I got it to work right. I just dont have the time to spend in front of her machine, is there an easy way to ahere her local profile to her domain profile if I do it this way?

Hello,

Start the client up in safe mode, log in as local admin,
Explore the documents and settings folder, enable view all files, and uncheck hide operating system files from the view menu.

You will see two folders for that user...

joe
joe.domain (examples)

Copy all from joe to joe.domain.

You will find that the local profile has copied accross.
Check Outlook if you use it after this, you may need to relocate the data files.

Then why not change it roaming profiles, saves a lot of time when instances like these crop up.

It does work for most aspects of the win2k profile, but some of the changes just dont take....alot of the trird party software wont work properly for one user to the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back