Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k DHCP using Linksys Router for internet gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiflyer

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
US
Ok so here's what I did, but I obviouslly did something wrong.

Win2k is my DHCP server.
Address range for distribution: 172.1.10.1-172.1.10.254
Address range excluded: 172.1.10.1 - 172.1.10.2

Server Options:
003 Router Standard 172.1.10.2 None
006 DNS Servers Standard 172.1.10.1 None
015 DNS Domain Name Standard <NAME>.local None

Then I disabled the DHCP server on the Linksys box, and set its IP address to 172.1.10.2

It's set such that the default gateway on each workstation is 172.1.10.2

The DHCP lease is 8 days.

Everything great after I set it up... but after 8 days (approx. I'm distant tech support, so if it's actually 7 days or 10 days I wouldn't necessarily know because they keep bad records on it) the router disappears from the network (should I be setting a reservation? I thought not because I don't think the router is using DHCP to get its IP address, but I'm not really sure)

Or am I just going about this all wrong?

(I tried using the linksys box as the DHCP server, but it wasn't up to the task, it kept dropping computers off the network, giving new IP addresses upon lease expiration thereby exhausting its pool, etc.)

Thanks for any feedback

When you say the router disappears do you mean that it not contactable and/or not routing traffic?

Did it lose it's config at all, what happens after a reboot of the router? How many users are on this router?

FRCP

If the router recives an IP from the win2k box, whats the expirends time on the dchp?
- It could loss its ip

When I say it disappears I mean I can no longer ping it. A power reset does not bring it back.

I do not know how the linksys routers are given their IP addresses, I know you set them on the config (web page) of the router. So I assumed that that was a static setting.

The DHCP lease is 8 days.

Try enabling DHCP logging on the server. (Right click the server in the DCHP snap-in, and under properties somewhere there should be a checkbox for "Enable DHCP audit logging".

You might also try setting your scope to not include those first two addresses in the subnet at all. This isn't "best practice" as suggested, but it won't cause any functionality problems. You can also try setting up a reservation, but need to do so using the MAC address of the Linksys' LAN interface.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back