Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN2k-Dell Poweredge 2650 Reboots 1--2 times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakuniv

Technical User
Sep 21, 2002
US
Hi - I recently purchased 2 Dell PowerEdge 2650 servers.
They have 2 dual 2.4 GHZ processors, 2 GB of RAM, 5 36 GB 15K RPM Harddrives in a RAID 5 configuration.

It is running as an Apache Webserver - running an application called WebCT. We also use a software product called DoubleTake to mirror our install of WebCT to another identical server. I use the Gigabit network card with a cross over cable to send the double take data to the other server.

Anyway - here is the problem. The server reboots itself at random times. 2 to 3 times per week. The last software I installed before the reboot problem appeared was Windows Service Pack 3. I have since uninstalled service pack 3 but the reboot problem continues.

Using Dell Openmanage software I have run diagnostics and found no problems. I have also taken the server down and re-seeded all the components. But it still re-boots.

The only error that I get once the server has rebooted is that the server restarted unexpectedly. I haven't used the Failover capabilities of the DoubleTake software yet - because I believe the other server may have the same problem.

The first time these servers rebooted - one of our other server admins tried to access each of the machines with terminal services. When he did that each of the machines rebooted as he tried to connect to them. This was several days after we had already gone into production with these machines.

At one point I was rebooting the server myself and I did get a blue screen but I wasn't able to read it fast enough before the system re-booted. I know there is an option to not allow the system to re-boot so that it just hangs on the blue screen. . .and that might be the last thing we try. . .I can't afford to have the systems down for long and it is so hard to know when they might re-boot.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
A bad ups battery will not hold power for even a fraction of a second, so the system acts like it is unplugged and plugged back in.

I checked everything, even settings, what i found is that the iis server was set up to allow scripts to use 100% of the cpu, i reduced this to 10% (no visible changes to loading of webpages) and this has solved the problem, or so it seems. Thanks to all who helped. Thanks,
James
[shadeshappy] [evil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back