Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTPLewisH

MIS
Nov 19, 2002
GB
Soory - I know this has been asked tons of times before, but the soloutions dont seem to help me.

Im running Win2k Prof, I have admin rights but when I run defrag it hangs on the start of the operation. I have tried both in and out of safe mode but no joy.

Have also disabled power management and got abotu 25% free HD space...

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Lewis

>> get used to replacing ide hard disks from time to time. i reccomend that you start thinking about replacing and upgrading your disk about when it gets half full... that keeps everything running in top shape. there needs to be enough room on the disk for the vurtual memory, as well as enough room so the hdd doesnt feel cramped and have to loop back when it wants to fragment itself all over the place

Can you try to install some third party defrag software to defrag the disk? Something like Norton DiskDoctor or SystemsSuite...
I think there could be 2 reasons:
virus
bad HDD

Try to eliminate both reasons stepbystep..

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

Sounds like your file structure may be having problems. And it should be easy to fix!

What you need to do, is from a command prompt type: (and you can/should do this for each partition) chkdsk X: /f where X is a drive letter. You'll need to reboot and let chkdsk do it's thing. It'll check the file structure and several other file structure related issues (esp. if you are using NTFS). After each partition is completely, your computer should reboot then move on to the next partition. If there are many problems the process may take a while, but you should then be able to defrag normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back