Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Control Panel Applet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynlee

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Good Day Folks..

I'm running Windows 2000 with Service Pack #3, 1 Gig RAM, lotsa disk space (some unused) on a SCSI 160 controller, dual monitor system. I tried to fire up Adobe Gamma and I got this message:

"An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel File D:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma.cpl"

Anyone Know what I can do to fix it?

Much Thanks, Peace...    -<-*                    Lynlee
10/01/2003

In case anyone is interested, I discovered the answer to my problem with starting the Adobe Gamma applet from Control Panel.

1) Turn off the computer. Power down EVERYTHING including both monitors.. If you see any lights in the case at all you are not totally powered down.

2a) If you are using ONE Vid card, with 2 monitors plugged in, remove the secondary (2nd) monitor, by unplugging the cable that connects to the vid card on the outside of the case.

OR

2b) If you are using 2 vid cards, one monitor on each card
Follow step 1) above
Follow step 2a) above, but remove the cable from the 2nd vid card, leaving the primary monitor cable alone.
3) Open your computer case
4) Discharge static electricity (discharge by placing a
hand on an unpainted surface, such as the drive bay or side of the power supply without wires)
5) Remove the screw holding your vid card to the frame of your computer.
6) IF it is an AGP vid card (cards in the AGP slot closest to the power supply), you may have a little latch mechanism on the AGP slot that must be released. (check your Main/Motherboard manual on how to release the latch)
7) Grasp the vid card, be sure to not touch any components, and pull strait up.
8) Lay the vid card on a NON conductive surface in a safe place.
9) Reboot your system and run Adobe Gamma

Fortunately I had a single vid card which supports 2 monitors.

After calibrating your main monitor replace the vid card and monitor cable following the instructions above in reverse order.. EXCEPT DO steps 1) Power Down & 4) Discharge static electricity FIRST!

Credit for the correct answer goes to:
YrbkMgr (Tony) at Adobe Forums, in the Expert Center with:

You have a dual monitor setup. Remove one monitor and try it. If you have two vid cards, remove the second one. Make sure Adobe Gamma is run on the first card, THEN attach the second card/monitor.

Peace,
Tony
--- UNQUOTE

Peace.. -<-* Lynlee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back