Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k clients slow to login to Linux Samba PDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

noliver

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
AU
Hello samba gurus!
We have a Samba PDC that authenticates 130 win2K (spII) workstations using LDAP and at the start of class the users experience 5-6 minute delays while they wait to login. The server is a Dell 2500 with a single PIII 1gig cpu and 1.5gig RAM. Each user has a roaming profile (!!) and five shares to collect.
We've tuned smb.conf to ensure that username level = 4
password level = 0

We've tune ldap to ensure that cachesize = 100000 and
dbcachesize = 1000000

Question. What makes win2k logins so slow? What should we look at to increase the performance of the Samba PDC and LDAP for win2K logins?

Nick Oliver
Lyneham High School
Canberra Australia

begining of class? i work in education with IT and servers just get slammed when everybody logs in at the begining of class. Especially roaming profiles.

Furthermore, i haven't had much luck getting roaming profiles to work well with samba, you may find it works better if you install file services for unix and then share the profiles as NFS shares.

Another possibility would be to get another network connection for the server or check your network and see where the slowdown lies. I assume that at non-peak times user login is fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back