Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k can't start...missing/corrupt file. \System32\ Ntoskrnl.exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2003
US
Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <winnt root>\System32\ Ntoskrnl.exe.

This is the message that I am getting when trying to start windows 2000. I have been to Microsoft's knowledgebase and the info that comes up is for an IBM Machine.

I have run the repair disk, that didn't work.

Does anyone know exactly what to do here?

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

'I have run the repair disk' - what do you mean by this? (2k has 3 'repair' options. Two involve booting from 2k install CD and choosing repair - then get option of repair using recovery console or using an Emergency Recovery Disk (ERD). The other involves booting from 2k install CD and choosing new install - then it should offer to repair (this is a repair reinstall - leaves data, apps, settings intact, loses windows updates).

Suggestion. Get into recovery console and run chkdsk. Also check that ntoskrnl.exe is present in \winnt\system32. You could also try replacing ntoskrnl in recovery console. If you have a service pack installed, should be one here C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386\ntoskrnl.exe. Otherwise, you can use expand command to copy the one from \i386 on the install CD.

If no good - try a repair reinstall (I'm assuming you did the other repair previously).

Basically what you mentioned, on the Installation CD. I have run the repair options there.

I have never reinstalled files before so this should be pretty interesting. I have done just about everything, but not re-install specific files to make something work.

So the problem here interpreted (sp?) is what?

The easiest way to fix it is:

I will try what you have told me.

Thanks Again

I thought about the copy and paste thing yesterday, however, didn't have enough time to try it. When I copy from the i386 files off the cd, where should I paste them.

In otherwords I copy e: i386... destination should be what? c: <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe ??

you'll need to use expand command, not copy (as files are compressed on CD and with last character replaced by an underscore - so ntoskrnl.exe is ntoskrnl.ex_). But yes - \winnt\system32 or %systemroot%\system32 is destination folder. But - I'd run chkdsk from recovery console first & see if it finds/fixes anything (I've seen issues like this fixed by chkdsk).

PS. You may also have a hardware issue (in which case, you may be able to fix problem, but it or something similar will probably re-occur).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back