Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K - Can't remove File

Status
Not open for further replies.

followthebits

Technical User
Dec 10, 2001
US
Folks, I'm running Win2k with NTFS. I have a MP3 file from one of my home CD's that will not delete. The file name is very long - probably all 256 characters. Win2k sees it there when I list the directory but when I attempt to delete the file it says 'file not found'. The real problem is that it is preventing me from backing up my directories. Whenever backup, or just copy for that matter, hits that file it stops and fails with a file not found error.
I've gone into Command Prompt and tried to use DEL with no success.
I've booted off the Win2K emergency disks and run CHKDSK to no avail. I tried to access the file while in 'Dos' mode but I cannot CD into the Documents and Settings directory even though I logged in as administrator. So I can't try deleting it from that environment.
Any ideas? I'm at a loss. Would really like to get my backups working again.

Followthebits

I've come across this problem before. If I remember correctly I just deleted it in the command prompt. Are you sure that you wrote the name correctly? Did you try del and deltree on it?

Yep< I tried teh command prompt and the del command. It just indicates &quot;no such file&quot;. I've used wild cards '*' to no affect. That one file is just broke and I can't get at it.
Followthebits

I fixed it. I took one of the upper directory names, which were quite long too, and renamed it to a shorter name.
I was then able to delete the subdirectory and all the files.
I think the problem was something to do with the total length of the file name with all the directories included.
Followthebits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back