Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k - Boot and shut-down times 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChrisCarroll

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
GB
I run Win2K on both my laptop and my desktop machines.

There are differences in the configuration and in the program setups, but in spite of that I am intrigued by the differences that I get in the boot up and shut-down times on the two machines.
The desktop machine cold-boots marginally quicker than the laptop (2 mins 15 secs compared with 2 mins 45 secs), but the desktop takes much longer to shut-down than does the laptop (1 min 12 secs compared with 16 secs).

Most of the shut down time with the desktop is occupied by the window that says "saving your settings".

Why would the desktop be quicker to boot, but much slower to shut down?

Is there any routine for checking what goes on during shut down (similar to the start up in safe-mode).

Chris

Unloading 329170 usually works, but try this, which also fixes the problem:

Run gpedit.msc
go under local computer policy
then computer configuration
then administrative templates
then system
then logon.
On the right near the bottom is maximum retries to unload and update user profile, enable that and change whatever number is listed to 5.

Be careful messing with policies....

Hello guys,
maybe its my not so good english, but i didnt see how to delete this securityupdate (via regestry?)

plz someone explain how to delete it.

If you open "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel you should find it among the hot fixes towards the foot of the list of programs

I already installed sp4 on my machine and am experiencing a similar problem. Anyway i can remove the hotfix without removing sp4?
My problem is a little strange however. I connect to a domain at work and everything is normal.
when i go home however, i am no longer on the domain and my startup and shutdown times take forever. i have not had a chance to time it but it seems like it takes about 5-10 minutes.
in addition to startup and shutdown, if I open IE it could take anywhere between 45 secs and 5 minutes for my homepage to load (which is google).
When i am at work, i dont see any of this.
clues?

periferral,

Maybe it takes longer because it is looking for the network connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back